was a Lurker, now a new Member, Hello Everybody!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been lurking here for over 2 years, I've been a member no BYC for a while. I really like the information that is available on this forum also.

A little background on me. I am married, no kids, two house cats and one dog.
Recently, our situation has changed for the better, we purchased an old farmstead in WI and now have a barn, outbuildings, house, detached garage and 25 acres!!
DH and I both grew up in WI, we moved to WY and are now back in WI.
I have been here for only a month and the place felt like home right from the start.

It is time to start our new life in a new place and I joined so I can share our adventure and get help from this community. I have lots of ideas and plans. And I will need advice from those who have experience and knowledge.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you are most welcome here on SS. i haven't been very long myself and i can tell you there are some very nice helpful folks here who are willing to share their expertise. congratulations and enjoy your new home.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome Look forward to reading more about your adventure.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to the family! :frow Your place sounds amazing! Looking forward to sharing your adventures.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like fun! Let's see.....plant a fruit orchard and nut trees. Then the land produces food for you that you don't have to plant over and over again! You will like it here, lots of nice people here!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are three very old apple trees in the soon to be garden area, which was the old garden area, which was a calf pen at one time, and was a garden before that. No apples this year, but I plan to prune them heavily to see if that will force them to flower and make apples next year. I have heard that pruning can force fruiting. However, I don't know if I prune this fall or next spring?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Late winter for apple tree pruning. You want it done before the sap starts flowing.

Then summer for very light cleanup pruning.

We have three apple trees that the previous owner cut off with chainsaw. I've been trying to clean up all the excess suckers and prune them into a tree shape. It's so bad that I could only do half a year for fear of taking to much and killing them. I got a good amount of fruit this year after I took the second half off. This winter it will be just some shortening and shaping.