1. Announcing the new awards/recognition feature - medals!
    Read MORE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. SS Featured Thread: What do you do...
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. Official SS Caption Contest #3 - August 2014 - Pic by Hinotori
    Click HERE!

4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

5. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

what to do with a ton of apples

Discussion in 'The Self-Sufficient Kitchen - From Recipes to Proc' started by the funny farm6, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Oct 23, 2012
    the funny farm6

the funny farm6 Lovin' The Homestead

today i picked 8- 5 gal buckets of apples. i have the 1st 5 gal cooking into applesauce as we speek.
    i thought i would dehydrate some for the girls for their oatmeal (iam going to be making instant oatmeal packs) and the girls like the apple-cinnamon would i cut those small now and dehydrate, or dehydrate slices and cut them up?

there are enuff apples to fill those 8 buckets at least 3-4 more times.

other than apple pie filling what to do with apples?
  2. Oct 24, 2012
    BarredBuff

BarredBuff El Presidente de Pollo

I'd hot pack them in syrup then you can cook apples to go with hams and pork, or fix a variety of fried apples for breakfast. Plus all the applesauces, and you can make apple butter. Send me some!! :drool
  3. Oct 24, 2012
    Mickey328

Mickey328 Power Conserver

Apple sauce, apple butter, apple pie mix, apple juice...mmmm. That's what I did with mine this year. I made 3 different flavored apple butters. Everything turned out really well.

How about a few baked apples? I think you'd need to freeze them but those'd be good.
  4. Oct 24, 2012
    Happy to be Me

Happy to be Me Power Conserver

Definitely make some apple butter! I make mine in the crock-pot and it's super easy and so yummy!!
  5. Oct 24, 2012
    BirdBrain

BirdBrain Lovin' The Homestead

Apple cider, apple cider vinegar, dried apple rings that can be made into pies later, apple chutney, apple roll ups ...
  6. Oct 24, 2012
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

Apple crisp, apple cake, OK, now you're getting me hungry! :drool
  7. Oct 24, 2012
    rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Almost Self-Reliant

Wish I could meet you in the middle. I'm about to stress out over a huge orange crop.......tons. No joke. I'd love to exchange some with you, but Iowa to Louisiana for just that.......BooHoo!!! Believe me; I understand your situation and sympothize. I still haven't drunk all the juice I put in the freezer from last year.
    Any middle men out there reading this stuff????
  8. Oct 24, 2012
    the funny farm6

the funny farm6 Lovin' The Homestead

i would SOOOOOOO trade for some oranges!!!!

i dont have a way to juice the apples. but i do have some acv with the mother in it. hmmm...

apple crisp is tomarow.

and i can get 7 baggies, 2 cups each per 5 gal bucket of apple sauce.

and i didnt mention that there are 14 trees where we are getting these. 2 red delish, 2 gala, 8 granny smith, and 2 im not sure of (look like a cross between gala and granny) i am mixing them as i do the applesauce. made plain no sugar added today, tomarow i will do red hot applesauce. it is one of the kids faves, add a pack of the cinnamon red hots to a kettle of applesauce.

it seems a LOT of people with apple trees here, but nobody does anything with them.
  9. Oct 24, 2012
    Hinotori

Hinotori Almost Self-Reliant

I always have to make a lot of apple butter when I can get down to my great aunts and strip her trees. Everyone in my family always want lots of apple butter for christmas.

I love dried apples. Make sure you have enough to snack on, too. That's a great idea for oatmeal packets.
  10. Oct 24, 2012
    baymule

baymule Almost Self-Reliant

Send them to meeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!