When an Idea Runs Amok...

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?

Ohio...Zone 5, cold winters, hot summers.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?

Married to DH for 16 years. We have five children, three by the grace of adoption and two home-grown surprises. They are all miracles with their own amazing stories.

3. How would you define self sufficiency?

Working diligently to acquire wisdom and applying it well to live a better life in a responsible, debt-free manner.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?

Read, garden, sew, crochet, spin wool, turn my 3.5 acres into something beautiful and productive for our family.

5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?

No, but I would love to! I am very interested in earth bag construction.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?

No, that is a skill I have not undertaken to learn.

7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?

Several people in my life have influenced me, but mainly my great-grandfather and a friend from church who is wonderful at making something out of nothing.

8 Cloth or paper?

I generally wear clothes made from cloth and to write on paper, but that is my personal preference.

9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?

I am just starting out in self-sufficiency, trying to take some baby steps. I enjoy making gifts for people, rather than running to the store to purchase items. We have raised chickens in the past and have recently gotten some more to provide eggs for our family. I also home-educate our children.

10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?

I don't know if I could ever see myself owning a firearm or going hunting.

11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?

If I can keep my three growing boys from eating it faster than I can stock it up, absolutely!

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?

In my imagination, coming up with more hare-brained ideas!

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?

No. I do occasionally have to confess to tractor-envy when I pray at night. :)

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

Yes, I enjoy sewing and crocheting and have passed on some skills to my children.

15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

Yes. We currently have 6 sheep and 9 chickens. In the past, we have had goats, pigs, rabbits, and ducks.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?

No, that is another skill I have not acquired.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

I do like to garden and found growing fruit trees (pie cherries) to be the most rewarding.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

No, I don't fish. We actually have a pond that was stocked, but all the fish died after a very long, dry summer a couple years ago.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?

We have 3.5 acres outside of a small college town. I call it rural-light.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?

Definitely a novice.

21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

Dithering over options is my speciality. I cannot decide where to begin because I want to learn everything! Building greenhouses, hugelkulture, aquaponics, better land management, fencing, the possibilities are mind-boggling!
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?

Pioneering 101

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?

I have built some very simple, functional bookshelves, night stands, and tables.

24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?

Sure!

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?

I'm pretty happy right where we are.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

No, two of my children and I are allergic to wood smoke, so wood stoves are out.

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?

Hero - An awesome handyman who works for free at the speed of light.

Villain - telemarketers or people drumming up political support over the phone

28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?

Somewhat.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods?
raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

I have had to deal with so many food allergies for most of my life that eating was a chore so cooking has never been fun or enjoyable.

I am striving to provide a whole and natural food diet to my family.

30. What was your MOS?

What's an MOS?

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

No.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?

I have a brain and I'm not afraid to use it (most of the time!)

33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?

Narnia

34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?

No, but that would be another thing to add to my dream list.

35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?

Monty Python knows the answer!

36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?

No. Perhaps.

37. In what do you trust?

In God alone.

38. Do you make things yourself to save money?

Yes.

39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?

Yes.

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As my DH tells it, my crazy ideas get us nowhere. We have lived on this piece of land for six years and have never done anything to improve it.

It was my idea to move to the country. DH would have been happy in a condo. I couldn't picture a condo working well with our five babies, so the country dream won out.

I had visions of raising sheep for wool and meat, a milking goat, chickens for meat and eggs, ducks for meat and eggs, rabbits for meat, a huge garden, etc. Everything was supposed to be all sunshine and butterflies. Except it wasn't. And it still isn't.

I am your basic idealistic city girl. I am a real farmer's worst nightmare and the butt of every dumb city-slicker joke.

This is what happens when ideas run amok.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Never too late to back up, re-evaluate your goals and how to get there reasonably and start over. ;) Never too late to be known as the city girl/savvy farmer.

If you are anything like my sister, she got on a farm and immediately started stocking it with any and every kind of animal, any stray rescue dog, horse or sheep that no one else wanted, bought expensive heritage breed animals that one cannot sell in her area for the amount of money for which she paid for them....and all of this before she ever built proper fences, barns or sheds to house said animals, nor even studied up on each type of animal and their needs. Consequently she spends all her time, money and effort running back and forth in futile, money draining and heart wrenching effort and her farm experience has been a nightmare, both for her and the animals.

But she keeps doing it exactly in that way...I don't know why. Seems like a person could sit down and say, "This isn't working. I need to step back and have a plan, get rid of all these animals until I can contain them, shelter them and care for them properly and efficiently."

My mama always said, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you always had."

It's never all sunshine and butterflies but it sure can be close~eventually~ to it if you can take your time, study hard and decide on goals, and then implement them in a step by step approach with a view towards farming for years instead of days, weeks and months. Everybody gets in a hurry nowadays but they need to realize that most folks who got into farming and stayed farming for many generations started off very slowly and built on that, learning as they went, working hard and finally getting that full farming life many years down the road.

So, what have you got going so far? :pop

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the excitement often gets the best of many of us, certinaly myself included, we get all these big ideas then have a hard time figuring out where to start.
you've got the land but no imrpovments so id say realy you've got the best start...because you can go anywhere with it.

make lists...ive found lists help me a lot.
lists f what youd like to accomplish, what livestock you think youd enjoy, do you ant a little of everything, or do you want to specilialize, from there you figure out fencing and housing for livestock (no need to build a 20ft tall fence if your just keeping in a couple of sheep ect...
figure out your garden goals, go form there.
remember the hard things are the permanent parts.
barns, livestock housing, greenhouses and storage, water and electricity....
those are you key points, gardens can be enlarged, fences moved (especially if going with electric fencing ect that's easy to just roll up and reset wherever)
and NEVER be afraid to say "this isn't working" and change it....

you've got a dream, don't let it slip away simply cause its hard to find the tart line! you got this.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"... hard to find the tart line!" lol! :gig
I love when a typo makes a funny!
I'll take a lemon tart, please. Don't mind me, I'm skipping to the start of the Tart Line.

to EWE MAMA - cute avatar pic!

Do you use your sheep for anything beyond yard ornaments/field mowers? Do you shear them and work with the wool?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree that lists help. I then take my list to the local hardware or feed store to price out what I'm thinking of; that way I know how much to save up for the next project. Taking baby steps is the best way to do it- that way, you have time at the end of the day to sit on the porch and sip something tasty while you watch the sun set and listen to country-syle quiet. I love it when the bats come out!

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lists and research are two of the best things when starting out! Don't be afraid to start over, don't be afraid to ask for help if it starts to get too hard, gotta crawl to walk gotta walk to run (a favorite saying of some family members)

To be honest though your vision is everything I dream my someday farm being :')

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Goodness! I didn't think there would be so many responses on the journal of a newbie member. Thank you for the advice and encouragement.

The past couple of days, I have been trying to set up a fodder system in the lower level of our house. We have a little room lovingly referred to as the "sump pump room" that was unused for anything except the aforementioned sump pump. I set up a metal shelving unit, drilled holes in my sturdy trays, soaked my grain, and spread it in the trays. I am using a simple flood and drain approach, although I would like to somehow make a bin that catches the water and drains directly into the sump pump, so I don't have to lift and carry the city water to pour it out.

I know nothing of how to make PVC fittings work, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it! It seems like it should be easy enough to drill a hole in the water catching bin and put some sort of fitting in it with a length of pipe that will carry the dirty water to the sump pump drain, but I don't know what to purchase or how to fit it all together properly.

I also set up a dehumidifier very close by. The last time I tried this, I had a ton of mold develop, so I am hoping this helps.

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As for overwhelmingly supported idea of list-making, I have been a list-maker since I was old enough to write. I have lists going all over the house. As a homeschooling mama, I have about 15 notebooks devoted to my projects along with their accompanying lists. Curriculum to use, curriculum to consider, curriculum to purchase, grocery shopping lists, birthday idea lists, landscaping plans, chicken tractor ideas, chicken moat ideas, which sheep to sell and which ones to keep, reasons to keep trying to turn this place around, craft ideas, trees I would like to have in my longed-for orchard. Those are just the lists I can think of off the top of my head.

My current most practical list is for the tools and supplies needed to make a mowing strip along the edge of my hope-to-landscape front garden bed. I am planning to fulfill that shopping list this weekend.

Ewe Mama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I totally need to make this fodder system work. My poor sheep are not doing well. They are so thin and I can worm them only so much before the warmers are rendered ineffective. I only have six right now and dh keeps telling me to sell four of them, but I wouldn't want to sell them the way they are now. I keep rotating their grazing pens every two days, but they still never gain.

If I can get the fodder to work, it should make a huge improvement.