Wild Foraging

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Gooseberries and boletes, love 'em both. What did you do with the goldenrod and the fire weed? Do you remember? I brought back seeds of both from my last trip to New York state. I got them started in my yard, we'll see how they do. I just like the flowers.
We just made tea out of the leaves. Kinda bitter, so we added sugar. The flowers are pretty, but remember--they are weeds and reproduce like weeds.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We just made tea out of the leaves. Kinda bitter, so we added sugar. The flowers are pretty, but remember--they are weeds and reproduce like weeds.
I planted them where I have a hard time growing anything. So I'm hoping they'll take over. ;)

bbh I'm with you on that one. I used to have my daughter's friends over a lot. She is now grown. But we have fond memories of when we had a gaggle of girls in the house. Even if we had to call the plumber twice a year to remove the hair clogs from the drain. :barnie :gig
There is nothing like 5 or so adolescent girls in the bathroom all at once (they all did manage to squeeze in) showering and make-uping and fixing their hair. If one of those 12 year olds is yours, than you better stock up on that health tonic. ;)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
miss_thenorth, I think that was really wonderfull that you did that foraging with your kids. That is basically what my folks did. And we learned so much from that. And we had a lot of fun. I'm sure your family did too.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I planted them where I have a hard time growing anything. So I'm hoping they'll take over. ;)

bbh I'm with you on that one. I used to have my daughter's friends over a lot. She is now grown. But we have fond memories of when we had a gaggle of girls in the house. Even if we had to call the plumber twice a year to remove the hair clogs from the drain. :barnie :gig
There is nothing like 5 or so adolescent girls in the bathroom all at once (they all did manage to squeeze in) showering and make-uping and fixing their hair. If one of those 12 year olds is yours, than you better stock up on that health tonic. ;)
Exactly! It was a crazy-wild weekend, and I was soo tired...but I loved it!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
miss_thenorth, I think that was really wonderfull that you did that foraging with your kids. That is basically what my folks did. And we learned so much from that. And we had a lot of fun. I'm sure your family did too.
Thanks, we had alot of fun doing that sort of thing, and did it quite a bit while we lived there. One time (8years ago)my sis and her family came down, so we all went out, and talked about what was edible and what wasn't--picked some leaves and went back to the camp to make tea. they still talk about it too. Memories that last a life time.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I went to a YMCA camp in Wisconsin every summer, and one summer I took a class on foraging for edible plants. At the end of the week we made a full meal out of the edibles we found. I was probably12 or 13 and I never forgot how much fun it was, I learned so much too!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I think most people are so distant from their food that the idea that edibles absolutely surround them is just stunning and amazing! My aunt and her husband visited once and were tickled silly when my kids dragged them into the woods to find morels :) The kids were only 7 and 5 at the time!

Can't wait for my newly ordered book on edible plants to come!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
FarmerDenise--I think of this often--the wisdom that probably many SS kids have that is not very valued in the world right now. My kids know SO many plants, animals, bugs, birds, weeds. That is an incredible kind of intelligence. They know about the rhythms of nature and all the natural world around them. But, that's not really the kind of intelligence valued too much today and at their age. I hope they still are true to their love of nature even when they realize it's not "cool" to their friends. But, they also have a lot of friends who live in the country and are also probably a bit more connected to nature than some children.