‘CRISPR’ Bacon? Scientists Create Low-Fat Pigs

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Might be time to start raising my own fatty pork!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Every time you select animals to breed for the qualities you want, you're "genetically modifying" your future food.:hide

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Every time you select animals to breed for the qualities you want, you're "genetically modifying" your future food.:hide

But it's naturally occuring modification and not crossing two different species that would not otherwise breed and produce naturally. That's the difference in my mind anyways.

"Atlantic salmon are modified with a growth hormone gene from Chinook salmon that makes them grow much faster than normal."

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wonder how much longer it will take for the medical community to stop demonizing fat?
Pork fat is at least 50% monounsaturated, which is what you find in the much-touted olive oil. Why is it unhealthy when it's in an animal instead of a fruit?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a big difference between selective breeding and gene editing!

I don't want less fatty bacon! Leave my bacon alone, scientists!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Personally I like bacon fat!! My AGHs gave me nice meat, lean enough, with lovely fat to render. What's not to like??? I don't care about saving them $$$. Geesh, guess I will have to keep raising pigs.

Damned scientists need to work on climate change and leave our food alone. All the diseases out there and they have to make bacon less fat?????? No wonder I keep seeds and milk goats for raw milk, free range chickens on non- chemically treated pastures and all this stuff. Leave my food alone.

Latest posts