MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
We have been building a good reference library here at home. While we frequently make use of our public library (we home school), each year I add to our personal library. I realize that things wouldn't continue as normal should anything happen, but I believe a wide ranging choice of reading material will help my son continue to 'exercise his brain' during down times.
X2

Any time we have a little extra money ... 10 or so ... we rummage through thrift stores. We have a "library" of probably 1000+ books on various topics, including school books and workbooks for homeschooling, reference books, cookbooks, how-to books, classic literature, fun literature (like the hardy boys and raggedy ann) and so on.

Even tho my kid has learning disabilities and autism, chances are we'll continue the path I made for him, with an increase in basics, like canning, gardening, etc.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Everyone that survives will probably have lost people that matter to to them, and will have to put the grief aside sometimes to function. They may not know what happened in the other parts of the world either, depending on communication networks. Depending on the nature of the emergency- they may need to get a message out so communication, sign language or other kinds of signaling could be handy skills.

People have to remember that whoever is left will be raising whatever kids are around. Kids need to make little games as part of learning about their world. It's like with puppies- make it a game and they learn fast. Make it too stern and they get scared or defensive but the brain shuts down to basic drives - not learning.

Some of the skills needed then might be weird by our normal standards. Teach them how to pay hide and seek really well. If there are zombies or invaders - they might need to hide sometimes and leave messages secretly with people they trust.

Learning how to make codes may be a good skill. Letter substitution codes are easier to crack. Use some symbols that represent words or concepts and make it something that relates to your life, so outsiders wont understand easily. Like how married couples can remind each other of a whole story without finishing a sentence. A few keywords can tell alot to somebody that knows you.

Have them help in the garden and with the homestead critters.
Take them with you for foraging. Teaching them what foods are safest or never safe in their area should start young.
They can help build tree houses, basic furniture, and coops. Learning building skills has to start somewhere.

They need to know how to cook and preserve food. The little ones can help with measuring, making cultured foods, how to use a root cellar, and solar driers, then can learn canning when they're bigger.

They need to know how to swim and the methods to avoid drowning.
They need to learn how to read the weather and protect themselves from storms.
They need self defense lessons and tumbling skills to help valuable to avoid injuries in lots of situations.
Teach older kids first aid and where the supplies are.

SillySoap

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
What are the 4 R's?

I personally would be sure to make certain everyone absolutely understood where food was coming from, and why/how. No more "It comes from the store" non sense.
Yeah typo 3 R's

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Your exactly right Leta. Half the problem with the younger ones these days is that most feel they are above getting their hands dirty.Most wouldn't know what the heck an asparagus growing out of the ground looks like.In this world, with the very techy kids we have now, i think it would be a difficult task for parents to get kids interested in the things Leta mentioned.We already have millions of very educated college kids.Education is good, but it doesn't promise anything..Working the earth and learning natures ways will be of more survival value than 4 yrs of textook college.Our children for the most part are removed from the survival skills needed soon.Nice clothes, techy toys and such are of more interest.I'm not saying all children are that way, and plenty are learning the needed earthy skills.The mention of a home library with books on all these skills is indeed paramont, i agree..along with hands on experience.

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
Your exactly right Leta. Half the problem with the younger ones these days is that most feel they are above getting their hands dirty.Most wouldn't know what the heck an asparagus growing out of the ground looks like.In this world, with the very techy kids we have now, i think it would be a difficult task for parents to get kids interested in the things Leta mentioned.We already have millions of very educated college kids.Education is good, but it doesn't promise anything..Working the earth and learning natures ways will be of more survival value than 4 yrs of textook college.Our children for the most part are removed from the survival skills needed soon.Nice clothes, techy toys and such are of more interest.I'm not saying all children are that way, and plenty are learning the needed earthy skills.The mention of a home library with books on all these skills is indeed paramont, i agree..along with hands on experience.
So true! I'm working on getting all my grandkids interested in gardening. The oldest is 7 and he loves it! The youngest is two months, but the others will be telling her how to garden. My grandson thinks it is so cool to go into the yard and pick food.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep, i pretty much learned and got into gardening/growing when i was prety young.My father and grandfather had big gardens,as long as i could remember. I agree Veggie Pak,get those little ones out in the garden, and try to spark interest.I know its not easy getting kids away from the computer games,social media texting and all the new age stuff.I'm blessed to have had family into growing food.It was a natural for me, and being an earthy Taurus helped..:)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I would also make sure they had good reading skills, cause there are books written on how to do almost anything under the sun. Just forgot to say it in my post.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Absolutely Dragonlarual, basic math and reading for sure.Education is a good thing, but we will likely be needing simple survival skills, sooner than we care to think.In the near future having plenty of money, may or may not meet our needs, i'm not counting on it.I still fish and garden, and will as long as i can.I only have part time work, no ins., not IRA or any retirement plan.This is my life, ain't counting much on social secruity, thats almost broke.So,i work the land and local waters to get by.When i see how stressed and screwed up the rest of the world is,i thank higher power every day that i can still eat well and pay my bills..!