AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually found an apron pattern at the fabric store where the pieces and instructions were printed directly on the fabric, with the pocket and straps and everything. So all you had to do was cut out and assemble. I bought it - figuring it would be a great way to start.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't really need a pattern. If you just want a "waist down" apron - cut a square/rectangle large enough to cover the area you want covered. Also a long skinny (maybe 3"-4" or so) rectangle, long enough to go around your waist and be able to be tied in a bow. Make a narrow hem on three sides of the large rectangle. Press under about 1/4" on all sides of the long rectangle; with right sides together sew both ends, and most of the long side together. Turn right side out; press; pin unhemmed edge of the large rectangle to the opening of the sash, and sew together (by hand if you want invisible, or top stitch with the machine - you could also topstitch around the whole thing; it would look decorative, and also attach the bits that need attaching. If you want an apron with a bib, cut the first rectangle, and the long sash piece, plus a smaller bib rectangle. Hem 3 sides of the bib. Sew the two unhemmed edges together, of the two large rectangles. For the sash, sew as before, but you can make the opening smaller. Turn; press; lay over the seam of the two rectangles, and topstitch. Add a pocket if you like.

RonaldWilliams

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the link nancy. The 50 different apron patterns given are just awesome. I loved the Homespun Apron.

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
fantastic! I just told my MIL that I needed an apron after I came from the garden with tomato stains on my t-shirt from using the front as a bucket and then piled some eggs on top. I want one with a good deep pocket in the front to load up.

thanks for the link!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Don't really need a pattern. If you just want a "waist down" apron - cut a square/rectangle large enough to cover the area you want covered. Also a long skinny (maybe 3"-4" or so) rectangle, long enough to go around your waist and be able to be tied in a bow. Make a narrow hem on three sides of the large rectangle. Press under about 1/4" on all sides of the long rectangle; with right sides together sew both ends, and most of the long side together. Turn right side out; press; pin unhemmed edge of the large rectangle to the opening of the sash, and sew together (by hand if you want invisible, or top stitch with the machine - you could also topstitch around the whole thing; it would look decorative, and also attach the bits that need attaching. If you want an apron with a bib, cut the first rectangle, and the long sash piece, plus a smaller bib rectangle. Hem 3 sides of the bib. Sew the two unhemmed edges together, of the two large rectangles. For the sash, sew as before, but you can make the opening smaller. Turn; press; lay over the seam of the two rectangles, and topstitch. Add a pocket if you like.
I made one like this for BBH....there's a thread with a picture somewhere....just throw "apron" in the search and choose "topic title only" and it should come up with a few other threads with apron ideas and links.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
ORChick said:
I made one like this for BBH....there's a thread with a picture somewhere....just throw "apron" in the search and choose "topic title only" and it should come up with a few other threads with apron ideas and links.
I just realized that I forgot the tie around the neck for the bib apron, but I'm sure you can figure that out :lol:

Latest posts