moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All you need do is plop them in a jar with some milk, if they are squishy then they are ready to go :)

Putting them in the fridge will slow them down.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It will be fine for an hour in the fridge, but remember it needs to eat! :lol:

Have fun! (You can turn coconut milk into coconut kefir and it is so good! You just have to refresh the grain in milk afterwards.)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just milk, it's super simple--my kids regularly make kefir smoothies after school. They spoon out the grains and plop them into a clean jar, pour milk over, pop the lid back on and pop the jar back into the cupboard where we keep our drinking glasses. We use a clean jar each day and we use organic homogenized whole milk from the fridge.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yep, kefir is the most simple fermented food I make. It takes very little effort and isn't all that picky about different types of milk either, although I think it does need some fat, so make sure not to use skim etc... (I've even used heavy cream before and it turns out like custard!)

It takes no electricity however the warmer your house the faster it works. On cold days it takes a bit longer, like every two days. If you need a break from making it, just put it into some milk and leave it in the fridge covered. It will be fine for up to a month, in my experience...maybe even longer.

I would get it into some milk asap by now though, if you haven't already.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It will live, don't worry. Just won't thrive as well in skim. I seem to think someone here used skim in a pinch for a while... Kefir grains are very hardy. I've frozen some and dehydrated others and they handle it very well.