2 Brand New Additions

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, yesterday I was the first one to notice that there's 2 baby chicks and another Mama hen.
Today I ended up putting one of the babies in the hospital (small cat carrier in the house on the kitchen table) because not of an open wound but a sore foot/leg.
IMG_20170803_101533.jpg
IMG_20170803_103736.jpg
IMG_20170803_145311.jpg
I'm guessing it's only about 3-4 days old. I've been giving it homemade electrolyte solution and have the foot bandaged. I've seen a post about a " chick chair", all the babies that I've seen in them look a little older than Squeaker. Is it too little/young for a chair?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so sorry :hugs How is the other one and mom doing?

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Squeaker should have been able to pull through. It didn't have any open wounds, the only thing that was wrong was it's foot/leg.
I think Mama #2 and the other one are okay. They are staying under the coop.
Mama #1 and Munchkin are doing excellent. Munchkin is growing. Mama takes it into the coop at night. Munchkin is almost the first one out the door when I open them up in the morning.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have one who had a foot issue. He/she is much better now. Only a tiny limp now. Perhaps it's not the right approach, but I left it alone. I don't want to separate chicks from mama, and being alone (even while being taken care of) is a source of stress for flock animals. So I figured he would either get better or not, but I don't usually intervene much. Sorry about your chick, it does stink losing them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I found that sometimes even apparently fine and healthy chicks will just die on you. You've done your best for the little one :hugs

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
go to tractor supply and get 6 more. You will feel better

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have one who had a foot issue. He/she is much better now. Only a tiny limp now. Perhaps it's not the right approach, but I left it alone. I don't want to separate chicks from mama, and being alone (even while being taken care of) is a source of stress for flock animals. So I figured he would either get better or not, but I don't usually intervene much. Sorry about your chick, it does stink losing them.

I use the same approach....learned my lesson over the years and I've never been able to "save" an ailing or failure to thrive chick yet. I've read plenty about those that do and often that chicken can go on to have a short and complicated life, with a messy end, so I just leave things alone now. If I feel it's suffering, though, I'll just end the life.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just a quick update both Munchkin and Peeper are growing up and thriving as soon as I can I'll post pics of them.
They look do much alike that the only way I'm able to tell them apart is because Munchkin has bright orange legs (which I'm not sure how that came about seeing how it's Mother's legs are normal and the same with it's Father's) and Peepers legs are normal coloring.