2 liter plastic bottles, a lot of

westtxamber

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, I'm guilty...soda junkie, so I have got a ton of 2 liter bottles and I'm not sure what to do with them. Would it be ok, if I sanitize them and store dehydrated foods in them? I've heard rice is ok in them...and I really do have a lot so what else could I do with them? Points (that don't matter) :p for creativity. lol Oh and sorry if I'm double posting, I tried to search first.

PatchofHeavenFarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Do you garden? I use some of mine as seed starters..cut it the middle and fill with dirt the tape it back shut and place outside. You can poke a few holes for drainage. I use milk jugs to start seeds in too. My friends father makes whirly things out of cans and bottles. Very neat but no idea how he does it. lol

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another soda junkie here! :frow

I'm also a gardening junky, so I use my 2 liter bottle collection as mini greenhouses for starting seeds in.

I'd never thought about storing dehdrated food in them so I hope some one with experience chimes in on this.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm in iowa...

they are refundable!:clap. Each one is worth .05 (20 for $1.00)

This is how my kids make extra money- they ride their ponys along the roads and pick up cans. I don't buy them candy or soda, they get that themselves. Once a month or so they get to turn them in and they do a movie night. Soda, candy, rented movies- or to go out to a movie. A real treat for my kids!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I saw someone on that "Doomsday Prepper" show with rice stored in them.

westtxamber

Power Conserver
Reaction score
PatchofHeavenFarm said:
Do you garden? I use some of mine as seed starters..cut it the middle and fill with dirt the tape it back shut and place outside. You can poke a few holes for drainage. I use milk jugs to start seeds in too. My friends father makes whirly things out of cans and bottles. Very neat but no idea how he does it. lol
I decided last fall to start a garden this spring, so I was just waiting on it to do the last freeze. I think that's a great idea, to start them in plastic bottles. Though would that work for starting any vegetable, or only some types? I have seeds for carrots, beets, potatoes, and onions. I also want to have tomatoes, and possibly some herbs. Anyways, thanks for the ideas!!
Yes, lucky you the funny farm6 :p I do wish more places would adopt that policy...I remember as a kid living in Iowa for a bit and we could make a killing on soda bottles and cans. LOL
And nice pics Dawn419, and thanks too.
I'm still wondering about dry food storage but I love the gardening ideas. :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Do you have insects you want to trap? If so, you can make an insect trap w/them. Cut them but not in half, more like 2/3 and 1/3. The 1/3 should be the top. Put about an inch or so of water in the bottom along w/a drop of dish soap. If you're trying to attract bugs that like light, put some type of flat light under it. Otherwise, find something to bait this with. Put the top part in the bottom so it forms a funnel. The bugs will fly down the neck thru the opening and not be able to get back out. They'll end up drowning in the water.

PatchofHeavenFarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Amber I only use them for tomatoes,squash, cucumbers,broccoli etc.. I have better luck just planting carrots, beets and onions directly in the garden. :)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Do you have insects you want to trap? If so, you can make an insect trap w/them. Cut them but not in half, more like 2/3 and 1/3. The 1/3 should be the top. Put about an inch or so of water in the bottom along w/a drop of dish soap. If you're trying to attract bugs that like light, put some type of flat light under it. Otherwise, find something to bait this with. Put the top part in the bottom so it forms a funnel. The bugs will fly down the neck thru the opening and not be able to get back out. They'll end up drowning in the water.
The water is even more effective if you add a drop of dish soap to it (though I suspect any soap could work)

They work super well for stink bugs. They are supposed to be attracted to light, so you can forgo the water in the bottom, and put a little push button battery powered LED light in the bottom and then tape the top on so it won't shift. They also work easily with the water in them because its super easy to scrape the little stinkers off of surfaces and the slip right down into the bottle and to their death in the water! If you get them quick enough they don't stink at all!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
In large numbers? They'd be perfect for storing heat in cold frames and green houses. You just paint one side black and face that side towards the sun, the other side towards what you are heating, fill with water, and let the water store the heat in the day and release it over night.

You could build a frame that will house many, many of these bottles for a whole wall of solar heat storage...one could even heat a hen house that way as I've heard of folks doing it with soda cans filled with sand. Of course, sand would be a better mass for storage, so maybe you could fill the bottles with the same?