30 Day Homesteading Challenge - October 2021

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you find a recipe that tastes like Hellmans/Best Foods let us know. I've never found a substitute. I don't particularly like mayo, but it's needed for some things. Most people I know will only eat that brand.
I prefer Dukes mayo (no sugar added), although I wish they used a different oil.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For documentary, try Alone in the Wilderness.

Well it's not really one, but, it's soothing to watch and shows a guy living mostly self sufficient.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My getting sick has put this on temporary hold, but I have a 3 Sisters SS meal planned. I harvested the Painted Mountain corn we grew, and I will nixtamalize it to make hominy. Then we can make a stew using one of our excess chickens, with the hominy, the dried tepary beans we grew, and the Ute squash we grew, along with onions, greens, and herbs from the garden. DH will grind some wheat and make sourdough bread using nothing but water, salt, and the yeast present on the wheat. The only things not actually produced on our tiny little half acre being the wheat and the salt. My goal is to make this our Thanksgiving Meal this year.
That sounds amazing! I try to make Thanksgiving as home-grown as possible too. We either have lamb or venison - both if we are hosting!

I don't know how to nixtamalize corn. I ordered flour corn seed to plant in spring 2022, so I will need to learn!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
To nixtamilize corn use pickling lime in water let it sit overnight then rinse , heat the water up add the lime let it cook for a while them take it off the heat and rinse in the morning, that is how I start my corn nuts process
Wow, that doesn't sound too difficult! So many things I've been afraid to try!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
when we replaced our old refridgerator one of the things we were really happy about was that the new refridgerator is pretty quiet when it runs. it has a smaller compressor motor in it that runs more often, but it is so quiet we don't really notice it at all.

i really hate about any noise in the morning until i wake up, then i have more tolerance. :)
I just went through my house, turned off the fridge, unplugged basement dehumidifier, unplugged outlet timer, and Instant Pot. Too much noise, I cannot cope.

Now I can hear the radon mitigation system fan running. Can't turn that off, so I'll relocate to the opposite side of the house.

I am struggling with being interrupted frequently while writing a textbook. I'm way behind on this chapter and deadline is in 2 weeks. I was not homeschooling when I signed the contract, but I'm homeschooling DS6 and DS14 is home from school for discipline. Between kids and dogs, I'm interrupted every few seconds, which means I cannot get anything done. And that's when I lose my patience with distracting appliance noises. I cannot.

I would like to figure out ways to be less reliant on electricity just to get relief from the noises.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You could try a batch of those crackers if you have some more sprouted wheat ready. Hmmm... if not... I'm fresh outta ideas. No wait, do you make homemade mayonnaise? I fail quite regularly at that one, lol!
I make mayo! I got an awesome price on avocado oil mayo from Misfit Market so I haven't made mayo for months. I'm down to one container left of "bought" mayo. Soon! Do you use a stick blender for your mayo?

I should start some wheat sprouting for crackers. I ordered thickness bands to put on my rolling pin, they should be here in a few days. Or I might have to put on my big girl panties and roll it out the old-fashioned way. Thank you! It's so hectic here I'd already forgotten about making sprouted wheat crackers!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Calling "uncle" today. I found the top of my dining table today! Kitchen counters are still piled with dishes, as DS14 still is mysteriously unable to get them clean. I have a meeting to prep for tomorrow and I'm way behind on my writing deadline at the end of the month. This challenge is taking a back seat today. Maybe for a few days.