5 gallon bucket handles need fixin

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets that need something!
The plastic hand grips have broken off from the wire handles. I put split firewood in the buckets and bring in about 4 for each night. Even with gloves the bare wire handles are uncomfortable.
Any ideas?

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could wrap the wire handles with cotton batting or something from your rag pile, and then wrap that with duct tape...

eta: what miss north said!!! :lol:

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got an old water hose? Or that closed cell foam pipe insulation that is split down one side?

A couple of layers of garden hose split down one side, then covered in duct tape works very well.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
OK, Pretty much "my choice" with duct tape, then. I think I have some old hose around, under the 18" of snow somewhere. Definitely have rags. Thanks!
:thumbsup

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
All you horse people, use the above padding options but use vetrap (or similar product) instead of duct tape. No glue to get on your hands...if you care. :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Vet rap is amazing stuff! I keep some int hecar, in the house, in the barn.

The first time I was introduce to vet rap, my big rotti had a big booboo on his dew claw. he had this while he had his yearly checkup. while at the vet, the vet said it was slightly infected and said he could wrap it up for me if I would like. I said sure. (innocent naive me :/) He tried charging me $20 for a foot of vet rap, when i can buy a whole roll at TSC for $2.49. last time I went to that vet.

lemons

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I registered just to post a response to this- Having the same problem, I found a solution that works beautifully. A 5 foot stick of 1/2" diameter pvc pipe from the hardware store is cheap and will provide oodles of replacement handles that are better than the original. Just cut it with a hacksaw, or almost any saw really, and slip it on. The only hard part is popping the wire sections out of the bucket, but a little fiddling seems to take care of that.