55 gal. drum root cellar?

chickenchalupa

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I want to make a small root cellar with a 55 gal.metal or plastic drum but don't know how. Has anybody done this before? If so, how'd you do it?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Readers Digest Back To Basics books has a section on how to do this.... my book is in storage..... :/ Maybe your local library has a copy? Or head over to the local book seller and read a copy.....

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I looked at that link and they had the following written:

Nowadays, the "appearance" of criminal activity is assumed to actually "be criminal activity" until you prove it is not. The "Law" will react without the presumption of innocense. I can't blame them, either. So would I. The net result will be that your "secret" hiding place is no longer a secret. CNN knows all and you will watch the cops dig up your stuff on the 10:00 o'clock news with photos taken from a helicopter.
:gig Laughing, because it is true!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:

Nowadays, the "appearance" of criminal activity is assumed to actually "be criminal activity" until you prove it is not. The "Law" will react without the presumption of innocense. I can't blame them, either. So would I. The net result will be that your "secret" hiding place is no longer a secret. CNN knows all and you will watch the cops dig up your stuff on the 10:00 o'clock news with photos taken from a helicopter.
yeah i know, I looked at a couple sites, each one more ....uuhhhhh, paraniod than the last

SimplyForties

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The newest edition (August/September) of Mother Earth News has this project in it. I was trying to find a link to it on their website but couldn't. You might look for it wherever you buy magazines.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:

I would LOVE it if the local freedom sucking strong-arms came around to see my secret - and got a face full of stored roots and goodies. Probably be the last time they bothered this old kook....

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i think i love that guy...

so anyways ..... is this a way that i can store my now ready pumpkins???? i've been trying to figure out a root cellar but maybe this is the way to go???? it will be a good long time until its fall and such - but i have pumpkins that are ready now.

thanks!