/

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
In other news I am still working toward removing plastic from my kitchen it is slow going and hubby complains the loudest. He is still fussy over the move to cloth napkins. Each day we slowly move a little closer to being self sufficient.
Glad your new school "year" is going well :)

Any tips for others on the plastic war? We've been on the same track for about 6 years now, but there are still so many things you can't easily buy in bulk (like cheese) that come in plastic packaging, so it is a constant struggle. We use jars and Pyrex for most of our pantry and fridge food storage, but some containers have plastic lids and I like the plastic storage lids for mason jars because they are easier to use than the two-part lids once something is opened (can't win 'em all I guess!) plus I have lots of the old school Pyrex with glass lids. We reuse glass bottles for drinks (e.g. in the car on long trips we load up the cooler with bottles we fill with water or juice) and each of us has a stainless steel water bottle to carry with us on a daily basis for school and work.

The cloth thing was actually a no-brainer in our household--haven't bought napkins or paper towels (except for camping) in nearly 10 years. My hubs is pretty hard on his undershirts (wears one daily under his button-up work shirts so he can wear the shirts more than once before washing and ironing) so we have no lack for rags to use in place of paper towels. For napkins, we have a ton of mismatched home made flowered print napkins (don't show stains!) and we tend to leave them at our place at the kitchen table if they're not too soiled to use again for the next meal. We still use TP, but my girls and I have been using home made cloth pads for years (they've never used disposables, I can't remember when I made mine but they are still going strong :))

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My hubby has told me I can't get animals until I have their quarters set up; he also has forbidden me from bringing home any plants if I don't already have the holes dug, lol. We've lost too many plants because I brought them home but it was too late or too hot or whatever to plant them so they sit around in their little pots and don't get enough water until it's too late.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive done that before, lost a couple nice lavenders that way :/