A Glimpse at Simple Homesteading Life in the 1800s

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bee, I hope you feel better and can keep the pain away. My husband has suffered for years with pain. If you don't deal with it, then you don't know how it affects people's lives. Chronic pain is a terrible thing to have to live with. A big hug for you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bee, I hope you feel better and can keep the pain away. My husband has suffered for years with pain. If you don't deal with it, then you don't know how it affects people's lives. Chronic pain is a terrible thing to have to live with. A big hug for you.

Thank you, Bay! It's definitely hard to work past sometimes and I'm unable to take any meds for it due to how they affect my kidneys. The over the counter NSAIDS I took over the years for it did something to my kidneys and now I can't take anything at all for the pain. Bad thing is that those meds also did such a number on my kidneys that I now have chronic gout...even MORE painful in an acute flair up. It's a sticky situation, for sure. ;)

Makes it hard to do all the things I used to have great strength and fortitude to do here on the land. Wouldn't be able to do anything at all if it weren't for the Lord.

But there are many who are far, far worse off than I and I am grateful for what I have each and every day. It could be way worse.

Carry on...didn't mean to disrupt the thread. :pop

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed , have you ever used ArniCare? it is a herbal preparation made from Arnica Montana and it really works. It comes in a cream, gel or pill form. My husband will take a pill every 2-3 days for the arthritis in his hands. We use the cream for aches and pains. When he had knee replacement, I rubbed the cream on each side of the incision. Please try it, it might give you some relief.

http://www.arnicare.com/

You can find it at WalMart, Walgreens, CVS, drug stores and health food stores. It is not expensive, around $10 a tube.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll give it a try! I use castor oil some and it works wonders but the effect wears off in 3-4 days and it's pretty thick and sticky to wear on the first day of application.

Thank you, Bay!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our dog, Parker got snakebit one night a few weeks ago. I let them out for the last potty before we went to bed and he came in limping, in great pain. We gave him an Arnicare tablet the size of a BB for the pain and I made a late night run to WalMart for benedryl and baby aspirin. The Arnicare really made a difference in his pain.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Or you can just click the banners that keep showing up on this site now that the product was mentioned. :caf And, if you fill out there mini questionnaire, you can download a $2 off coupon. ;)

12842728659570688033.jpg
7223524196202726326.jpg
7639789376534092347.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Arnica is wonderful for all kinds of pain, and I have used the homeopathic version to reduce the swelling and pain from a tooth extraction; but you shouldn't use it on any open cuts as it is poisonous; St John's Wort is better for open cuts. Unfortunately, neither of those seem to help with DH's chronic pain. He recently was forcibly retired due to disability. He has peripheral neuropathy in his feet even though he is not diabetic; a condition that occurs in 30% of all cases of peripheral neuropathy and there doesn't seem to be any known cause or cure. I pray that he won't eventually lose his feet. He also has a bad back (but that seems to be the case of most adults, doesn't it?) and his shoulder and wrist never healed correctly from his motorcycle accident. He is constantly on the lookout for something that might help with the pain, and yes, you can get irritable after a while.

Something I couldn't help thinking about while reading the original post on this thread was that these settlers viewed this as an opportunity to better their lives