A newbie Beek and her adventures

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, since a cow is a little bit more "expensive" and will have to wait until I can get a job. The next step is bees. Since it was on my to-do list, it was suggested that I start a thread to share my adventures.

So far, I have been doing my research both via online and through a product catalog graciously given to me by my local beek group. While at the county fair, I met up with a couple of the local beeks and they invited me to come to their group. The first meeting I could make(rather remembered to attend) will be tonight at 7PM at our local Ag extension office. I "think" they said their membership was $10, but I'll find out for sure tonight. Tonight, I'm just going to sit in and absorb information and get to know them.

As far as hives go, I think I'll be going with the traditional. I gave the top bar hives some consideration, but decided to just stick with the traditional style. If someone would so graciously inform me what the "traditional" hives are called, I appreciate it.

Also, I decided to "splurge" a little bit and decided that I wanted the A-frame copper roof for my hives. At least for the first 2-3 hives that will be in my garden. I think a white hive with a copper A frame roof would be beautiful in a garden. If beekeeping is my cup of tea, I have several opportunities to grow. My mother owns 10 acres, and my in-laws have 8 acres. So a few satelite hives are a possibility, we'll see how it goes. I know, I know, a roof is the least of my concerns. LOL

I haven't decided on a 10-frame or 8-frame hive. Any suggestions? This will probably be decided further on, as I become more familiar. Supposedly the 8 frames are easier to work with, while the 10 frames are more traditional. Honestly, I'm leaning toward the 10 frame, but as I said, this decision is still very much in the air.

One day, I'd love to sell products from my farm. Bee products would be a must. :D The local honey that my mother-in-law buys is $4-5 a "small"(pretty darn small) jar. She buys local to help with her sons allergies. :)

I will update, after tonight's meeting and share how it went.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:clap This is my year also. Saw two hives for sale in the locals for $125 ea. Haven't called about them yet but who knows? I might be getting bees this fall instead of spring. I'm kind of hesitant to buy hives right before winter unless they are currently healthy and have a good supply of honey for the winter.

Any of you beeks know if it is advisable to move hives this late in the year?

Wish I could find a local group also, Wolf-Kim. Do tell us all the buzz on the bees! :)

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you tried any of these groups?

http://www.wvbeekeepers.org/Associations.html

Many states have a state-wide association with smaller, local associations. Most of North Carolina has county specific "chapters", while I boarder two counties, I chose the one that holds it's meeting closer to the house. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah, tried those last year but all of the groups close to me were very snarky and the nicer ones were far away. Might have to start my own, huh? :p

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yeah, tried those last year but all of the groups close to me were very snarky and the nicer ones were far away. Might have to start my own, huh? :p
Ah, that's too bad. This one seemed very nice at the fair, even gave us a couple of honey straws on them. They said it was nice to see "young people" interested in what they believed to be a dying hobby. We'll see how they are tonight.

Yes!
You'll have to start your own. I think this one meets the last Tuesday of everymonth. Honestly, I'm curious what all there is to talk about. LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It will be like a foreign language! If you go on the Beemaster forum here online it's like visiting a foreign land with all the packages, nucs, beeks, Italian lines, supers, pullers, etc.

Very interesting and fun!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Excellent! I think the term you were looking for, Wolf-Kim, is "Langstroth," the vertical, square hive body system.

Beekissed--I don't know the answer to moving bees in fall, but maybe Reinbeau or someone else with more experience will jump in on that one. Keeping bees has been one of the most fascinating things I've ever begun learning!

My local bee chapter is nice, but pretty dull, slow and not very helpful. I really have found exceptional help online at sites like beemaster.forum.com, biobees.com and beesource.com. They have exceptionally helpful threads going there and have taught me everything I know about bees.

If you are fortunate enough to find a mentor who shares your beekeeping philosophy, that would be excellent. No such luck here so far.

I'll look forward to reading about your adventures, Wolf-Kim!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had two different family members laugh and make fun, when they found out Adam and I were heading to a beak meeting. Guess I won't be sharing any of my honey. ;) Oh okay, just a teaser taste, enough to hook them on it and then be able to go "nanananana" :plbb and then deny them any more... *buahahahaha*

Went to the meeting, I see why they were fishing for younger members, we were the only people under 45(with only 1-2 other being under 60). Felt a little awkward at first, but we got over it. We listened into conversations about bear attacks, 2-3 members had problems with them this year. Then when the president showed up a little late, they went over the by-laws and business "stuff" *MAJOR YAWN* and there was actually a couple members that had some serious tension between them. We sat in the middle of the room, and one gentleman in the back of the room just seemed to be hunting a fight. This went on for what seemed like 30-45 minutes, I contemplating handing them their papers back and walking out. I sat through it, and then it got much better. We talked about us, mainly, being new to bees and not having our own hives. Everyone had suggestions about where and who to get our bees and woodworks from.

A couple of members even took down my email address for their own purposes of sending me their favorite sites, forums, and suppliers.

I think that I will join in the group, but Adam says, that he thinks only one of us should join. The membership fees are $25 a year; $15 for state, and $10 for county chapter.

I'm excited and glad I stuck through that argument. It was crazy how close I came to walking out, making a scene or not. Not exactly the best way to start your meeting, when you have potential members in the crowd. LOL

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Kim,

Move to Illinois and I'll adopt you as another one of my daughters.