A nice little score at a yard sale

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of garage and yard sales but early this morning I was returning home with a load of gravel in my pickup and noticed a lady setting up her yard sale about a mile from home. There was a three point hitch post hole digger laying there and I turned in to take a look. I have some fence mending to do later this year. While there I started to look at some of the stuff out on her tables. I picked up a small glass jar with a clamp type sealed lid and asked her how much she wanted for it. She said 45 cents. I could tell that it was brand new. While I was scrounging for some change she told me that she has a box of 24 of them. I asked to see them and while I was looking at them she said $8 for the 24 of them. I'm no genius but I quickly figured that 33 cents each was a better deal. I told her I would take them. All I had was a $20 bill, a $5 bill and $1 single. I handed her the $20 and she grumbled something and said she couldn't make change. She saw that I had the $5 and the single dollar and said just give me the $6 and they're yours.

25 cents each ain't too bad. I don't think that box had ever been opened. Each jar has a different design painted on it. I hope they're not from China. The box does not say.

No I didn't buy the post hole digger - she wanted $100 and it was broken.

1505_dsc03217.jpg

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Nice! Those would be great for storing dehydrated things. I need some!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I love those kinds of jars!!! Great deal! :D

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
calendula said:
Adorable! What are you going to use them for?
Well . . . I really don't know. Right now 4 of them are holding my latest batch of Kombucha. It's getting near time for dehydrating fruits and veggies so we'll probably fill all of them with dried stuff for the winter. DW says she wants three of them for jams. That's a lot of jam!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What difference does it make if they are from China? Do you expect the woman is going to order another case to replace them like Walmart would? I am for buying American rather than from China in storesbut second hand the damage to our Trade is done.
As for quality on simple things, a lot of China is like we were in the 1950s, the tech may not be there but the attention to detail is. I'll trade you 72 containers of plastic crap for your glass and steel containers even if they were made in China. ~gd

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those would be great to fill with homemade snacks or bath salts and give as gifts. Great find!