A store is wanting to buy chickens from me! Now what?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I was calling around trying to find a cow to eat and got to talking about chickens. The store owner said she wants to order pastured chickens from me! She can't have them in her store but she would take preorders for me if i delivered them to the store. The big problem is I'm in Iowa and she is in Illinois. I was thinking of doing a pre order form then buying so many extra chicks per each order. Is this how it's done? I am going to need major help writing out a business plan. Should I give her free birds or a discount for allowing me to use her store for orders or a percent of each order? Do people pay up front or when they get the birds. Is it better to pay per pound or as a whole bird? Last year I just sold to friends at 12 a whole bird. I found a cheaper place for the chicks. She also wants some turkeys around thanksgiving. I am calling around trying to find a processor. I'm excited but I am a little over my head at the moment. So anyone want to shove me in the right direction?

:weee

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I would look at the laws for selling poultry for each state, as well as if they allow inter-state commerce. Sounds like a potential legal problem to me...

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I would look at the laws for selling poultry for each state, as well as if they allow inter-state commerce. Sounds like a potential legal problem to me...
Where do I look? Also my mom lives on the Illinois side so they could possible live a week or so there if needed at the end.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't have any first hand experience, but I'd like to hear how it's going for you- that's pretty exciting! Good luck, Ninny! (I realize it's an old thread, just looking for an update)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Team Chaos said:
I don't have any first hand experience, but I'd like to hear how it's going for you- that's pretty exciting! Good luck, Ninny! (I realize it's an old thread, just looking for an update)
Well I never got a chance to get it off the ground. We lost the flock to gnats. I really want to do this though so I may try again next year.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For gnats, spray your flock with vanilla. They hate getting sprayed, so I wait until they are on their roost and wet 'em down! I am sorry you lost your flock to those nasty, biting gnats.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
For gnats, spray your flock with vanilla. They hate getting sprayed, so I wait until they are on their roost and wet 'em down! I am sorry you lost your flock to those nasty, biting gnats.
Make sure your coop is sound my most productive trap bait for 'coons was marshmellows with a vanilla scent. Can't be sure that it was the scent but I never had any luck with fruity or choclate marshmellows.