? about handpumps for water well...

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have a standard modern well system,

in the line of "being prepared", I was wondering what it would take to, in an emergency convert my well to the old fashioned hand pump well like grandma used to have...

does any one have any experience or knowledge of this,

(I think I need to find out how deep my well is,)

I am pretty sure that the water table is high here which may be good ?

I have googled this topic, and have only found exspencive pump systems for over $1000

it seems to me that it shouldn't cost that much to "go backwards" to that kind of technology..

thank you for your help

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hi!

There are hand pumps you can have installed or install yourself in-line with your existing well pump, likethis one . I don't know if this is an expensive pump, it seems to claim it is more affordable. I would think you are looking at spending some money to do this anyway, but it might be a worthwhile investment.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Height of water table is not what matters; what matters is what depth of water your well is drawing its water from.

As you suspect, how much you gotta pay depends how deep you have to lift the water from. There are a whole lot of designs and mfr's out there. Simple generic shallow pumps are carried by places like Lehmanns; for deep well hand pumps or systems with more features (ability to coexist resident in the well with your powered well pump, and/or ease of operation) you may have to look at specialty pump suppliers, but there are a bunch out there. Google some more ;)

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Found an old pump at an abandoned house down the road and the family said I could have it. I have an extra, hand dug well on my place that is reputed to have great water. This spring will be the time I implement this.

I think it's a great idea for anyone to consider this, as these pumps last a long time and hold their value. They certainly come in handy when the pipes freeze or the electric goes out.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
We really need one, have thought about it a few times.
If we lose power we lose water as well.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Feedmills and old style hardware stores carry or can order hand pumps.
We still have our new hand pump from Sears. We tried to sink a point without success. We found we were only 8-12' above shale. Someday we will buy or rent an auger for the tractor and drill down 25 to 40' for the pump. I think a hand pump is an excellent idea.