about weevils and storage of flour and cornmeal and such

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
When it comes to cornmeal and flour and such.......and the nasty little weevils that hatch

I've read about some possible methods of preventing the weevils from hatching, but i want to know if these are effective for long term storage

a.) bay leaves - one lady said she puts bay leaves in all her flour, cornmeal, pasta, popcorn, etc., and she doesn't have a problem with pests. this sounds like a really easy solution for long term storage if it will also keep the weevils from hatching.

b.) freezing - i can store my flour and cornmeal in the freezer now, but when it comes to long-term storage, i obviously can't count on a freezer to save the day. it is true that putting your flour, etc. in the freezer overnight will keep the weevils from EVER hatching?

I'm using two liter bottles and the like to store rice, flour, cornmeal, whatever. Well, i actually haven't gotten really started yet. So any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would be more inclined to leave the food in the freezer for at least 48-72 hours, if you have the space. And make sure your food is in tightly sealable containers. Also, get some of the "pantry pest" traps (hardware store) to keep in the pantry, or wherever you might have a problem (I keep one in the bin where I store birdseed). These use pheromones and a sticky surface to trap the moths, and they really do work!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'd freeze things for at least a week or two if at all possible. Insects can be surprisingly resiliant about being froze solid.

And preferably use a chest freezer rather than in the freezer compartment above your fridge which does not get as cold.

JME,

Pat

EverythingPrepared

Power Conserver
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
When it comes to cornmeal and flour and such.......and the nasty little weevils that hatch

I've read about some possible methods of preventing the weevils from hatching, but i want to know if these are effective for long term storage

a.) bay leaves - one lady said she puts bay leaves in all her flour, cornmeal, pasta, popcorn, etc., and she doesn't have a problem with pests. this sounds like a really easy solution for long term storage if it will also keep the weevils from hatching.

b.) freezing - i can store my flour and cornmeal in the freezer now, but when it comes to long-term storage, i obviously can't count on a freezer to save the day. it is true that putting your flour, etc. in the freezer overnight will keep the weevils from EVER hatching?

I'm using two liter bottles and the like to store rice, flour, cornmeal, whatever. Well, i actually haven't gotten really started yet. So any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
Bay leaves only help keep bugs out, but if there are already bugs or eggs in your food, it won't help. There is more information about food storage insect control at my website.

I have great success at keeping the bugs out when using bay leaves. Some people say it is a myth, but it works in my "unofficial experiments."

Another thing that can be used is oxygen absorbers. The bugs don't grow in an environment without oxygen. Others swear by using Dry Ice. Either of these solutions require storing items in a bucket, can, or mylar bag.

I have also heard that a yarrow tincture is effective. I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Jim

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know what I find handy for storage of flour and grains? Those large pretzel containers from Sam's Club. They seal pretty tight and I've never had a problem with getting bugs in them, even though I just toss them under my sink. Any flour that doesn't fit into the white flour container is placed in my freezer until there's enough room in the pretzel jug. Maybe that's the key?

I usually grind my whole wheat up and fill the jug, this flour never sees the freezer and it doesn't get weevils either with this storage method.

Those jugs are great!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I froze our flour and such TWICE, then I added the oxygen absorbers to the container. So far so good, going on 9 months now. I also added the oxygen absorbers to the buckets of rice, just in case.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Whole grains can be kept a long time, but flour goes rancid, nevermind the bugs. So be sure to only store enough processed grains that you can rotate your stock often.

White flour will keep longer because it is stripped of nutrients that are fragile and it is not really food....:rolleyes: I've had some in containers for years with no notable difference in smell. But whole wheat flour is already rancid when you buy it, and home-ground will only keep a few weeks under refrigeration, longer if frozen. But it will also readily absorb food smells in the freezer unless very well packaged.

The best thing to store for a long time is the whole wheat berries, whole corn, whole oat groats.

Oats will keep the longest when processed into oatmeal or whatever, because oats are not a very oily grain. But I am talking about rancidity, not bugs.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Whole grains can be kept a long time, but flour goes rancid, nevermind the bugs. So be sure to only store enough processed grains that you can rotate your stock often.

White flour will keep longer because it is stripped of nutrients that are fragile and it is not really food....:rolleyes: I've had some in containers for years with no notable difference in smell. But whole wheat flour is already rancid when you buy it, and home-ground will only keep a few weeks under refrigeration, longer if frozen. But it will also readily absorb food smells in the freezer unless very well packaged.

The best thing to store for a long time is the whole wheat berries, whole corn, whole oat groats.

Oats will keep the longest when processed into oatmeal or whatever, because oats are not a very oily grain. But I am talking about rancidity, not bugs.
Thats what I decided...after a number of storage failures due to rancidity. . I bought buckets of red wheat that the container says will store for 8 years. I figure if it can store for 8 years it can probably go 15. I might pop in in the freezer just in case... and I just purchased a hand grain grinder to go with it.