Above-ground root cellar idea?

divinebovine

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I really want a root cellar, but it's going to have to be above ground due to the rock hard soil and my bad back. Here's my idea. Use a Rubbermaid Horizontal Storage shed
. Cover the outside with earthbags and soil. Still not sure what to do about the doors.

Does this idea have merit and any ideas more than welcome.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the above ground version, but I have seen mini-below ground versions. Most of these employ using a igloo type ice chest put into a hole, with the top about a foot below the surface, and then covered with straw. Over the top of the hole they placed a piece of plywood.

There are variations using plastic drums and even old refrigerators. I've even heard where someone had a trap door in their kitchen that was used to access one of these below their home.

Just something to consider.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I am looking for a non operating chest type freezer that I can bury.

I happen to have a friend with a backhoe, so my back will survive. :gig

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I'm not sure about the above ground version, but I have seen mini-below ground versions. Most of these employ using a igloo type ice chest put into a hole, with the top about a foot below the surface, and then covered with straw. Over the top of the hole they placed a piece of plywood.

There are variations using plastic drums and even old refrigerators. I've even heard where someone had a trap door in their kitchen that was used to access one of these below their home.
Oooh, I like both of those ideas. People are so dang creative! ;)