accidental homeschooling

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A newsletter we recieved from Time 4 Learning (the online curriculum we use for one of our sons) jI thought it was interesting to share. Not all children/families fit the cookie cutter mold that school's in their area can provide. What it really all comes down to, is doing what's best for your children and family. I read this newsletter, after having a long conversation w/ my mom about homeschooling. My mom, who is NOT a homeschooling supporter. Doesn't believe that alot of families give their all, and she believes alot of the myths she's heard as well. Though she has known first hand of a couple bad instances of HSers. So our conversation was about her encouraging/supporting me to continue homeschooling. She called to make sure I was not going to put them back into the school system up here. She saw (and heard) how they suffered and were neglected on a regular basis. She (anti-homeschooler) was very concerned about me putting them back into the system. (which wasn't on my mind to do) I thought it was sweet. My DH asked afterwards "are you sure that was your MOM you were talking to? Not someone just saying she was your mom?" That's how out of character it was of her.

So here's the newsletter: the links won't work, not sure how to copy it so they'll work? if you're interested in the d/l's mentioned, just pm me w/ you email addy and I can fwd the newsletter to you.

"While some families know from the start that they want to homeschool, others arrive somewhat "accidentally". These are families who had initially put their children in traditional schools. Over time, for many different reasons, schools just didn't work out for them.

One particular conversation prompted my thoughts on accidental homeschoolers. A mother who called inquiring about our curriculum explained to me: "I don't really believe in homeschooling but I have to try it for my children. The schools have not worked out for us and I only want to do the best thing for my kids...."

I was speechless as she explained to me how her family had never intended to homeschool and how they had turned to homeschooling through a process of elimination. I tried to understand what made this mom different from other homeschooling parents, or any parents, for that matter, and soon realized she was no different. Like any parent, she was trying to provide the best for her child. This effort had led her along a bumpy, conflicted path to homeschooling.

The number of people starting as "accidental homeschoolers" is increasing now that the public has a broader awareness and acceptance of homeschooling. Here are some general characteristics of accidental homeschoolers as observed at Time4Learning:
Accidental homeschoolers make a decision to homeschool often to resolve a crisis, or series of crises, with the children, the school, and sometimes within the family.
Accidental homeschoolers start with real trepidation and often with little to no enthusiasm for their endeavor. They generally do not feel equipped for the task and wonder if they've made the right decision.
Many accidental homeschoolers have been preoccupied, trying to make traditional education work for their children so when they finally "give-up" on schools and decide to homeschool, they find themselves unprepared for homeschooling. For these newbies, we have prepared a Guide...

Ten Big Ideas: A Downloadable Homeschooling Guide

How do you go from "accidental" to "happy" homeschooler? Time4Learning's downloadable Getting Started Guide has helped many parents make the transition. Based on our survey of seasoned homeschoolers, you'll learn what mistakes to avoid and how to get started without getting overwhelmed. Download the Welcome to Homeschooling Guide now.

The Homeschool Melting Pot

We've noticed that the accidental homeschooler label only applies for a limited period for most families. After a de-schooling (see our homeschool glossary) transition period, parents become immersed in their new approach to education and lifestyle. Their initial anger with the education system, of which they feel failed them, melts away as they adapt to their new lifestyle. They seem to forget that their decision to homeschool was based on necessity, and did not begin as a deliberate choice.

"I had started homeschooling when I found that the schools just did not work for my kids. Initially, I was bitter with the schools that had forced me to take on educating my children by myself. Over the years, I began to notice that there was nothing regrettable about the fork in the road that I had taken. I shifted from being a critic of the schools to being a homeschool advocate." "

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I think this rings true for many people. I have often told the DH that if we had one 'together' (both of our boys are from a previous marriage) that I would probably homeschool. I have worked in the schools around here, and am NOT impressed. No fault of the teachers, as they are over burdened with either too many children, or not enough support from the school or the parents. Heck, many times it is ZERO support from the parents.

Homeschooling is becoming a widely accepted form of education, and although the social aspect is still criticized, I think the overall academics are respected. As with anything, people will downplay it until the need arises, then they will sing its praises. Personally, I think parents SHOULD do what is best for their children, and if it means a bit of trial and error to finally find what works, then so be it. I do not think people should judge other's methods based on unfamiliarity. :) Unfortunately, it happens, and will continue to happen.

Kudos to everyone who homeschools! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was an intentional homeschooler, had to give it up to work more hours, changed jobs over the years, started "accidental homeschooling" for my children, one of whom was dyslexic and the other ADD. Both children were falling behind, as there were no programs to help them, or any that were tailored to their learning style.

Taking a year and individualizing their education was beneficial to them both and my only regret was that I couldn't continue doing it. They not only caught up, but surpassed others in their respective grade levels in the state testing. I wonder how far they would have been behind if I hadn't done this. These were not learning disabled children(not in my thinking, anyway)...both bright as can be...just never had the tools present, in public schools, to capitalize on their unique learning styles.

Personally, I feel the government should be helping people in their desire to homeschool by providing online course options at low costs; tax incentives for families that are homeschooling ~ as this keeps the state from having to provide teachers, books, meals, transportation, etc. for these children; and low cost curriculums when needed.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I Personally, I feel the government should be helping people in their desire to homeschool by providing online course options at low costs; tax incentives for families that are homeschooling ~ as this keeps the state from having to provide teachers, books, meals, transportation, etc. for these children; and low cost curriculums when needed.
amen!

My friend in FL has homeschooled her children up until this year and had to stop for family crisis situation, but last year their local school district provided them online curriculum, not sure if it's all over FL or not? But I know another state also does that. Books came along w/ it as well.

Also, as far as low cost curriculum goes, I'm part of a homeschoolers buying co-op and depending on how many join each buy-in, discounts get pretty deep (50+%) I'm wanting to get the lego one going on now, but it's not discounted enough yet.

Latest posts