ACV from the store?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I have to know, does ACV from the store have the same benefits as homemade/unpasturized ACV? Do they even pasturize ACV for commercial sale? I'll do a google search on the benefits, to save everyone here some typing, lol.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you buy something like BRAGGS it is the same as home made. The stuff you buy at Walmart is processed. Look for brands that have "the mother" in it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
So, I have to know, does ACV from the store have the same benefits as homemade/unpasturized ACV? Do they even pasturize ACV for commercial sale? I'll do a google search on the benefits, to save everyone here some typing, lol.
You can get raw unpasturized ACV "with the mother" in the bottom. I get organic "BRAGG" ACV at the regular grocery store.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's the vinegar culture. :)

I wonder if red wine vinegar has the same benefits, since I may be making that instead of wine (haven't checked it yet, I'm afraid to taste it!)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The Vail Benton's said:
Will someone please tell me what "the mother" at the bottom of homemade ACV is?
there will be a blob on the bottom of the jar. Bragg's is the most common raw vinegar, but I can't get it at my grocery store. I can get it at the bulk food store though.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hmmmmm..... sounds delicious!!! :gig I will be looking for that for sure.
Okay - so say I find ACV with a blob in the bottom. What do I do with said blob? Do I shake the bottle and mix the blob in? or do I let the sleeping blob lay? Should I save the blob for a future purpose that someone will kindly explain to me?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The Vail Benton's said:
hmmmmm..... sounds delicious!!! :gig I will be looking for that for sure.
Okay - so say I find ACV with a blob in the bottom. What do I do with said blob? Do I shake the bottle and mix the blob in? or do I let the sleeping blob lay? Should I save the blob for a future purpose that someone will kindly explain to me?
That is what I do. It is supposed to be very healthy for you. Full of good for you things: http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/the-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I always shake mine before use.

I use Omega Nutrition which I buy directly from my naturopathic doctor.
Its certified organic with mother, shelf life 5 years stored at room temperature. I use it within a month, but nice to know it wouldn't be money wasted it it just sat a few years. Mine says to shake with each use.
I've read comments from people who say it lowers blood pressure. I took my blood pressure before using it, and immediately after. By gosh it was down 12 points. I'd like to check that again during some high stress to see if it works under all circumstances.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's good to know, Sylvie. I recently discovered that I am pre-hypertensive and since high blood pressure runs in my family, this sounds worth trying. Thanks!