Advent Calendar~roosmom, Christmas Spirit has hit me finally!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Does anyone else here use one?

I must confess to now feeling the holiday spirit LOL after all my complaining about skipping Thanksgiving...I think it's the snow...we have a lot now and snow just...I dunno snow feels Christmasy to me...so yea, I'm there!

Anyhooo.....I want to go dig out my advent calendar. I have a snowman one, made of felt (no I didn't feel it to make it felt, it's just felt~dumb joke sorry!) lol

So normally I let the kids just move the snowflake to the next day in the evening and they each get a cookie before bed. This year I want to do it differently. I am thinking of putting some small, inexpensive items in a "treasure box" and have the kids pick something from the box each night. I am thinking along the lines of maybe some homemade things, small stuffed toys, or maybe cheap inexpensive things from the dollar tree/dollar store.

I figure we will give the kids numbers, and each night pull a number and whoever's number we pull, they get to choose from the treasure box that night. That child won't be in the drawing the next night, so the others get a chance.

So I need to come up with 24 small items to put in a treasure box. I am not wanting to put sweets in there. I am thinking maybe new scarf, gloves, hats, etc...sensible things that will last awhile and maybe a few smallish toys. If my math is right, each kid should get 6 turns at this.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is so cool Quail

I am more into the holiday spirit now also. Our radio 104.7 has their "all Christmas" music on now and I am jingling along with it. I love Christmas music!!!!!!!

Got it set on the car radio now and me and Nicole sing as we drive. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer never gets old to me..HA HA HA

Quail---how about money? And the reason I say this is that each kid can save money and maybe buy a present for their grandparents or something. Or maybe buy a present for the Angel tree or something????? Just a suggestion, it might work well or not. They can pool their money and buy something for someone special??? Like maybe DH!! Get something for Daddy? Or use their money to buy something to make a present for DH or the grandparents.

well you know what I mean..LOL---who time teaching them to save and then go on a shopping trip to spend their money. I know Nicole just goes insane picking out a present for her Daddy.

just rambling, might help ya.....

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:th

:weee

:lol:

What an novel idea.......
MMMM little toys.....little gifts....I cant think of any. All I come up with is play doh, slinkys, jacs etc. I know that is not what you are thinking of. The only thing that just now popped into mind (and you probably think is stupid) is maybe some kinda of coupon for the reciever to spend one on one time with mom or dad.

That is a very good idea.....they will get very excited, and it is a good way to prolong the season.
Can you think of a way to get them involved with giving to other people, INCLUDING brothers and sisters LOL. I have never had one of those ( an advent calender) and never operated (?) one lol. If I can think of anything I will post it here.
Now to be the curmudgeon.........The first snow always makes people think of christmas. Dont do to much too fast.....You will burn out...Pace yourself
Back to loving christmas......I love to sing. I think I know all of the old original christmas songs.
And as much as you will want to put that FREE tree up soon.......dont. hee hee hee hee

I edited this because I was trying to think of a word in the first sentence, LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OOOH OOOH OOOH I just thought of something.....Have you aver saw the brain teaser puzzles? They are usually metal....They are all twisted together and you figure out the way to get them apart? Or the ones like "how did the whole egg get into the bottle"....stuff like that. Too old for them eh?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
HAHAHAHA!!

Hmmm...I could put CHORES in the box LOLOL Reach in, whatever you pull out is yours to do the next day...........oh oh that would be great! chores including but not limited to *filling woodbox...dd already helps here *washing dishes * cleaning own room

LOLOL

Yea I was thinking maybe could use it as a *shopping* idea for them...Like you get to shop for a gift to give to another person for the holiday..so they aren't keeping the gift from the treasure box!

I could even include little things DH would like, so they could pick something out to give to him. And g-parent gifts, too!

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh I love the "shopping" idea. That is an awesome idea!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
HAHAHAHA!!

Hmmm...I could put CHORES in the box LOLOL Reach in, whatever you pull out is yours to do the next day...........oh oh that would be great! chores including but not limited to *filling woodbox...dd already helps here *washing dishes * cleaning own room

LOLOL
!
ROTFLMBO really, i am.....:lol:

Yea I second RTR.

Also, please dont forget mom. You should, when this is all over, give the children some money, and make DAD take them christmas present shopping for mommy. unless he does that already. Cause mommies always take care of everyone else and no one does it for them.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
OH no, my DH does a lot for me! You'd be surprised. I get my gifts all year long...Christmas is the time to give back to him.

He built me a chicken coop this year, a goat barn with pasture, a duck pond and duck house, he let me get a new puppy this past spring, and he is letting me get a horse....and if I talk real sweetly to him tonight he might be driving me to get 2 more chickens on Sunday...........lol

So yea, Christmas is the time to give back to DH.