Advice, I'd rather not post this on BYC

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I picked up more layer today, and only JUST noticed that the label on the feed says, "Feed as the sole ration to laying birds during the phase of the laying cycle when egg production is under 80%"

I know I can feed other things aside from layer, but what does the other part mean? ... It's 15% feed JSYK

It's a different brand than I normally buy (this is Masterfeeds rather than LandOLakes), and it's better quality too, theres lots of lovely grains, etc in it. They other layer I bought that was LandOLakes I think was only 16% or 17% protein but I don't remember it saying this on the label.

The girls really love it too lol and I won't be able to take it back so I want to feed it. What do ya'll think? ... I was thinking of adding something extra to their diet to make-up for this feed, maybe BOSS?

They get extras too, like veggie scraps which have good protein in it, and alfalfa mix hay, cracked corn on chilly days, and some scratch that was actually organic layer that didn't work out. I also believe the organic layer that didn't work out was something like 16%.

It's much better quality than the LandOLakes feed :) This was a PROMO picture for selling my eggs (We're going to stuff mailboxes soon too cause I'm not getting a whole lot of feedback, esp. since I can't knock a sign into the ground at the end of the road due to the frozen ground right now.

eggsgrain.jpg

Or is this just what you get in the winter when laying isn't at it's peak? .. That's what I'm thinking now!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Looks like a good feed to me? My chickerdoodles said they are jealous is that is your LAYER! LOL

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Looks like a good feed to me? My chickerdoodles said they are jealous is that is your LAYER! LOL
LOL.

I didn't even think of the fact that laying is down in the winter months and hence the under 80% thing makes sense.

It's a BEAUTIFUL feed, smells incredible, and the chickens have been at their feeder since I put it in there LOL. It was like $2.50 more because it's Masterfeeds, but it was SO worth it, PLUS it was a 40KG back rather than a 25KG bag.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
This is just a stray brain cell firing, so do not absolutely depend on it, but:

I am pretty sure that I have read in books geared towards commercial-type production (possibly in Leonard Mercia's _Storey's Guide to Keeping Poultry_) that commercial practice is to drop protein a bit when hens are later in their laying cycle, on account of protein being one of the more expensive constituents of feed and if they're not producin' so much then you don't wanna be spendin' so much on feed.

I do not know any more details than that, and I may be wrong altogether, but if you look online for info on feeding commercial layer flocks you may find what you're looking for.

15% is not insanely low. You wouldn't have to supplement much protein on top of it to be up at 16-18% which is what most layer rations are.

Pat

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I think its fine. I don't know how many hens you have and how long it will take them to go through a bag of feed, but if its fairly quickly (like mine go through 25lbs a week) then its not a big deal.
Its not like they are on it long term.
If you like it enough to keep them on it then you can supplement with a few extra grains, its not that much under the requirement anyway.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
That is just too scientific for me. Chickens have been around longer than man has been making chicken feed.

I think layer feed, food scraps, roaming around eating whatever they find, and a little bit of oyster shell if the egg shells get soft is all you need to worry about for adult chickens.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I went wild figuring out perfect mineral ratio, protein ratios, etc. for my goats and chickens and all.

then I decided I had to be insane..LOL

I feed local layer by the ton. Manufactured in the next town. I was told what the exact numbers were about 8 years ago...heck I have no clue what those ratios are now...but they eat and live and lay well...LOL

lupin you sure do feed your chickens very well....they are lucky birds! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Even I got hungry looking at that photo! :drool :D I wish my laying mash resembled this more.... :rolleyes: Its okay and the birds seem to like it well enough, but that mix there looks yummy!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea it kinda looks like fancy granola for $12.00 per pound or something...but the corn might crack our teeth and root canal here we come..HA HA HA