Advice needed on new tractor- CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
SKR8PN and other mechanical types or folks with good advice -

We have a 10 year old 20 HP garden tractor that is painted in a color formed by combining blue and yellow paint. ;) We have 3 acres and the 60 inch deck makes short work of the lawn, so that part of it, I enjoy. The only implement I run off it is a pull-behind 25 gallon sprayer.

If it was a horse, I would have put it down last year. :/ We cannot keep it running - new plugs, control module, just about everything electronic, plus fuel lines and fuel pump. The MFG's approach to finding the problem is to have the dealer start replacing components until it runs consistently. My local dealers were all dropped in a company re-org, so even though they still can generally service it, they don't have the parts inventory to try to fix it. I've complained to the MFG and am still waiting for a letter to take to a authorized dealer (an hour away) that says the MFG will pay for all needed parts (this was promised in November).

So, any advice? Try to get it fixed and running this year, or cut my losses and go in another direction? I would have to make payments on something new, I really didn't want to have to do that. But, the wife said I could look at other implements with a new tractor!!!! :he Hmmm, snowblower, 4' tiller, blade, :hide

I know, I know, there might be a deal on CL or the like, but I have the word SUCKER painted across my forehead when it comes to mechanical beasts. :barnie

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The ONLY advice I have is DON'T buy anything ya can't pay for right NOW. The economy is not right for it ever, but especially not now. Just my opinion of course ;)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
The ONLY advice I have is DON'T buy anything ya can't pay for right NOW. The economy is not right for it ever, but especially not now. Just my opinion of course ;)
You saw the picture of my property... :p

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Jaime. Could you be a bit more specific? What Brand (my guess is JD) and model of tractor do you have? Diesel or gasoline engine? A twenty horsepower engine can be 2 cylinder or 4 cylinder (or maybe a diesel three cyl.) - which is it? Please describe what it is doing (or not doing). How long have you been having these problems? What has been done so far? Etc.

Times are hard for small-time farmers these days and there are some very good deals out there. I do not know what I would do without my tractor.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Hi Jaime. Could you be a bit more specific? What Brand (my guess is JD) and model of tractor do you have? Diesel or gasoline engine? A twenty horsepower engine can be 2 cylinder or 4 cylinder (or maybe a diesel three cyl.) - which is it? Please describe what it is doing (or not doing). How long have you been having these problems? What has been done so far? Etc.

Times are hard for small-time farmers these days and there are some very good deals out there. I do not know what I would do without my tractor.
Gas, JD Model 425, 2 cyl. For the past 3 summers, it has been a fight to keep it running. It acts like it is getting vapor-locked - it will run at full power, and then at some variable time period, it will drop to minimal, barely running enough power to get it back into the garage. One time it will run for an hour without a problem, sometimes 5 minutes. Sometimes letting it sit will let it fire up after 2 hours, sometimes not.

Over the past three years, all the things related to the electronics haver been replaced from the spark plugs, everything up to the ignition module. New fuel lines, fuel filter, and fuel pump. I do not use BP fuel (rumor has it that is an issue, too).

Thanks in advance for any input!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That Kawasaki engine is normally very reliable. You didn't mention anything about having the carburetor re-built (yet). But from your description a vapor lock condition may be the culprit. If it were mine I would wrap the fuel line with aluminum foil to act as both an insulator and heat shield/reflector. I restored a 1949 Harry Ferguson once that had a serious vapor lock problem after an hour of hard work and the only way I could cure it was to wrap the fuel line with 1/8" thick foam sheeting that I cut into long 1" wide strips and covered it with foil strips. It worked beautifully.

Since you have had many electrical and electronic parts replaced with no improvement I suggest digging into the carburetor.

Please keep us updated on your situation.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
You saw the picture of my property... :p
I meant fix what ya have brother! You NEED a tractor, I understand that ;) Fix it :) I wouldn't go into debt for one for sure.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have a 23 hp Kabota diesel, so you KNOW what I'm gonna tell you to do with that old JD! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, Boogity gave you great idea or two, but there are a couple of other things I would look at as well to help cure your problem. First thing would be to run it with the gas cap a little loose, just enough to let any vacuum that may be building up in the tank to escape. The vent in the cap may be plugged or not working properly, allowing a vacuum to build from the fuel pump pulling the fuel out. That would do what your describing also.
Next thing I would try, if it IS actually a vapor lock, would be to reroute the fuel line as far away from the exhaust and any engine heat as you can, and insulate it with fiberglass insulation really well. Look at the fuel tank itself and see if it is close enough to the engine to be absorbing heat. If it is, then insulate it as well.
The fuel we are being sold today is so light and volatile because it is designed to work with fuel injection, which keeps it under enough pressure to not boil. Boiling fuel in a carburetor is the LAST thing you want to happen. It will cause all sorts of driveability problems.

Keep us updated on your progress.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I have a 23 hp Kabota diesel, so you KNOW what I'm gonna tell you to do with that old JD! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, Boogity gave you great idea or two, but there are a couple of other things I would look at as well to help cure your problem. First thing would be to run it with the gas cap a little loose, just enough to let any vacuum that may be building up in the tank to escape. The vent in the cap may be plugged or not working properly, allowing a vacuum to build from the fuel pump pulling the fuel out. That would do what your describing also.
Next thing I would try, if it IS actually a vapor lock, would be to reroute the fuel line as far away from the exhaust and any engine heat as you can, and insulate it with fiberglass insulation really well. Look at the fuel tank itself and see if it is close enough to the engine to be absorbing heat. If it is, then insulate it as well.
The fuel we are being sold today is so light and volatile because it is designed to work with fuel injection, which keeps it under enough pressure to not boil. Boiling fuel in a carburetor is the LAST thing you want to happen. It will cause all sorts of driveability problems.

Keep us updated on your progress.
Oh yeah, the gas cap thing, too. Tried running the stupid engine with the cap off....to no help.

The carburetor was cleaned the last time I had it in.

I'm going to try the insulating the fuel line. Complained to the MFG again today 'cause they haven't sent the parts coupon yet. :he

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They always say, nothing runs like a Deere, and I always say, thank God for that! (Not a JD fan here. I have yet to run one that I like.)