Advice Needed on Value Added Products

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You definitely need to post those pics of your children in your journal. Beautiful children and your wifes work is just beautiful.

eggzettra

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I realize that the OP has dismissed doing salad greens due to the amount of prep work involved, but to any else that may want to do it....

I am a big fan of Good Eats w/ Alton Brown & I remember on one episode he mentioned that when he had to wash a large amount he would use the washing machine!

Just one one cycle with nothing in just hot water & bleach then use the rinse or gentle cycle for the produce!

Just throwing it out there.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I know of people who would clean the papery covering off a large batch of fiddleheads by tossing them in the dryer!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
eggzettra said:
I realize that the OP has dismissed doing salad greens due to the amount of prep work involved, but to any else that may want to do it....

I am a big fan of Good Eats w/ Alton Brown & I remember on one episode he mentioned that when he had to wash a large amount he would use the washing machine!

Just one one cycle with nothing in just hot water & bleach then use the rinse or gentle cycle for the produce!

Just throwing it out there.
Hot water and bleach!!!!! For greens??? I can't imagine eating them after that..... :sick

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:gig She meant to sanitize the machine before washing the greens, so you are not washing your salad after washing Junior's shorts, the ones with the skid marks!!! :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yup. A huge local CSA i just toured (1400 families) uses the washer--I'm assuming just the spin cycle)--to dry huge mesh bags full of washed greens.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Here are my ideas, mostly just what I have bought and wished to buy but can rarely find:

Artichokes! They are delicious, can be over wintered, and are sturdy enough to stand up to a long hot market day. Just make sure you get the perennials from root stock, not the annuals from seed which taste yucky.
In the fall when you are cutting down the plants the stalks can be sold too. (Cut off the artichoke with a long 'stem' like you would a flower so the 'choke doesn't dry out) The stalks can be peeled and eaten. Arichoke hearts can also be sold frozen

Worm Castings. A guy sold worm castings in 1 and 5 lb bags for a few dollars a pound. They were perfect for houseplant fertilizer, and actually make great gifts for houseplant loving friends.

Rhubarb and asparagus: I have paid $3 and $5 a lb respectively for good fresh spring produce, and they are the first things up. You do need water for the asparagus though......

I know 2 of my 3 suggestions are more produce, which is not exactly what you were asking for, sorry that's all I could think of.

Oh, btw, you are offering your animal organs and meaty bones for pet food, right? I buy a large portion of my dog's diet from my local farmers.