Advice on a children's supplement????

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was not sure where to put this. I am in search of a natural supplement for my 7yo daughter. To make a long story short she has some mood and frustration/emotional/hypersensitivity issues. We thought she was showing symptoms of ADHD but I now know that's not really it. She has a cousin with some of the same issues who is now being treated for anxiety/emotional issues.

I do not want to go that route. I am looking for something natural to "smooth the rough edges" for her.

have any of you heard of this product?

http://www.nativeremedies.com/produ...PC&ysmtrm=children%20antidepressant%20natural

She already takes the Kid Factor's omega 3's and drinks Easy Now calming tea to soothe herself.

Also which I know your all gonna comment on. This is the same daughter I was sure had the gluten intolerance. We have not gone gluten free. Do you think this is related?

I am kinda hoping I can find something a bit more for her.

Any advice welcome. Please be easy on me. :D

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
First question I have is, is she off processed dairy and grains, and drinking raw milk?
And, is she getting enough good fats in her diet, ie., lots of butter at all meals?

And yes, get her gluten free asap.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you BB. I knew you would help.

She is not Off processed dairy. I buy a quart or two of raw milk a week. It is 7 bucks a quart so when it runs out she drinks the regular homogenized store bought carp. We eat commercial yogurt. I can make my own but not sure she will eat it. Ds will with jam. She wont do jam.

I think we do pretty well with the fats, butters, coconut oil etc... She is very picky on hr fruits and veggies. Almost eats no fruit. It's a struggle an a half.

Does supplement with 1000mg of Omega 3's almost daily.

As for processed grains. do you mean like all grains?? :hide I wouldn't know where to start. I have her eating Nut Thins with her cheese and lunch meat. But she fights tooth and nail for her PB&J sandwiches. No jam, just honey or agave.

My sil and both of my dh parents have tested positive for Celiacs. MIL is just a carrier though. FIL and SIL have Vitiligo and auto immune issues.

It is so hard not to have the wheat and grains in the house. I know I need to get her off but .... :th

What do you think abut supplementing with the St John's wart in the mean time? Maybe not the product I gave a link to but something I can just pick up.

g

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree OFF processed foods completely.

If family has tested positive for Celiacs, then time to test her and go gluten free too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
She was tested and the only thing they said she was allergic to was some kind of grass. I specifically told the doc about the glutton issues in the family.

Hey do you think that was a Freudian slip??? I meant to say gluten.. :hide

Well I keep track of all my meals made. I guess I will write them down and see exactly what processed grains she is eating and how much. Then supplement with others.

I have gluten free oats and quinoa already incorporated. I think its just the breads. I guess it's time to get baking.

Keep the advice comming.

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I'll get you a good gluten free bread recipe.
If you get her off the processed stuff and gluten free, you should not need to suppliment for mood behavior.
It can take as little as 3 days to see a turn around.
Does she read yet? And does she understand that she is having issues?
If so, I would be happy to write to her about how not eating wheat made me feel "all better".

Yogurt...get her in the kitchen and have her play with making it sweet and yummy. Kids are funny that way. If they can cook, they will eat.

Agave. Run away from that stuff fast. It is very hard ont he liver, and no matter what the bottle or company says, it is processed in the same way HFCS is.

Fruits and veges. Don't make a big deal out of eating them.
Start taking her shopping for them, and let her create recipes.
Penaut butter and bananas are great.
And this summer, help her garden little things in pots or her own raised bed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
TH my DD is sensitive to MSG and since we took her off all processed foods her behavior/moods have levelled off. She IS however still very much a teenager :lol: It does help though, and I saw more difference prior to the teen hormones hitting than I do now. It truly does make a HUGE difference!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much. I just need a kick in the pants I think.

Yes BB she an read. She also has seen how well her cousin E is doing. E was diagnosed with the gluten allergy as well. She is 12.

She understands so well that she questions what I feed her. :hide

So no more Agave. I can do that.

She does love to cook with me and is a big helper with the garden. Maybe she needs her own raised bed this year.

Ok I am off to write that dinner list.

g

Edited to say... I went back and read my post and noticed a couple mistakes. Shes on 1000 mg of omega 3's and the cousin is being treated with antidepressants. Did I mention he's 5? I know this has to be nutritionally based.

g

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I firmly believe from experience that MSG can do odd things to some individual people, and you mention "lunchmeat" which if you mean "from the store or deli" is likely to contain MSG, sometimes in vast quantities. So that might be something to look at.

Also, what about a B vitamin complex? AFAIK it is pretty safe, extra is just excreted.

Pat

Latest posts