Age appropriate learning ?

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went to visit dad and family today. My younger sister has a daughter that is 3months younger than my daughter. They are both 4yrs old. DS was exclaiming on how smart her daughter was and how head start is putting her in the advanced learning classes. When I began to ask questions about what all neice could do it seemed that my daughter was much ahead, but I'm not quite sure if sis is stretching the truth.
We are using an unschooling approach right now for preschool and kind of just letting her pick her way through what she wants to learn. She has a keen sense for words. I believe she'd be able to read if I pushed it, but don't feel the need to. I guess I'm just trying to get a sense for where she should be as apposed to where she's at. She can do basic math( ie adding 2+2 on her fingers and counting to 10) She loves to sit down and write words and asks when she has problems with what a letter should look like. She can identify all of the letters in her name and can spell her name. I have thought of getting some kindergarten Curriculum and seeing if she likes doing it. Any recommendations?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You don't need a curriculum yet. The next step I would recommend would be to practice writing letters and verbally work on the sounds the letters of the alphabet make. Teach the short sound for vowels. For Math use objects for counting, adding and subtracting. Take it slow and make it fun. If you do want to use a curriculum I would would recommend ABeka. I believe they have 2 levels for pre-school if I am remembering correctly.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have a 5 yr old and we are beginning in the fall to be a little more structured. We aren't using a "curriculum" but have standards of learning in our state that the children must be tested on so that is what we are basing our studies on.

My recommendation to you is not to compare your child to someone else's. Everyone is different and it is useless wondering if your child is as smart as someone elses. I used to worry about it too but now I'm over it. :D

The other thing about homeschooling and being more relaxed and "child led" is that they will develop skills at various levels so sometimes a curriculum can be a hinderance. See if you can find a local homeschooling group and try to find some used curricula that you could try out.

Good luck!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My sis tried the same thing, and our kids are 2 years apart, it was very annoying. I'd say let your DD decide, she's only 4 and pushing may lead to avoidance on her part. Maybe incorporating things around the house for learning.....measuring cups when baking her favorite cookies, "How long is my foot?" and count around the house...fun stuff like that.

If it makes you feel any better, my MIL compares all 8 of her grandchildren to each other, and gossips (ahem, "shows concern") about who is or isn't doing well. Makes me glad my son lives with his dad!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I started in private student led classes and was doing work more than five grades past my level.

Moved to public school where I couldn't read out loud (I was barely even talking and this was before speech therapy) so I was put in all retard classes.

Comparisons for the sake of comparing really don't make much sense.

Kids read when they're ready. And quite young if reading and words are all around them. I don't think it's something that needs pushed. Words naturally draw us, as a people. The only time kids don't read is if their world is devoid of words or there is a learning disorder. :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I think having regular library visits and looking at nonfiction books is good too. My son loves to look at the pictures in adult nonfiction books. If he finds something he is interested in we use that as a jump off point to incorporate other subject areas. We use the internet a lot.

For example, I have a box of "instruments" for the kids to play with and I went on youtube and let them look at a couple of videos of marching bands and we had a ball all afternoon making our own marching band hats and costumes and marching all over the house taking turns with all different things around the house to use as musical instruments, got to use rulers and measuring tape and scissors and crayons.

We also used it as an opportunity for them to learn about what different instruments were and what they sounded like. We listened to classical music at breakfast the next morning and tried to identify the instruments. Even found a game on the preschool section of fisherprice.com under the games and activities (highly recommend the site, btw) and he got to use the computer to make his own songs with different animals playing different instruments. Kept us busy for 2-3 days. Then we moved on to something else.

We read to them every night before bed and throughout the day when they want to. I don't push it, I also read books for myself in front of them. It helps them if they see you reading too.

My advice is don't make it so complicated that you burn yourself out. At age 4 they really just need to have opportunities to explore and have fun. :D