Air Wells, Dew Ponds and Fog Fences Oh my! Hey Rebbetzin...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I water 2 dozen chickens and various turkeys all summer almost exclusively off the morning "condensation drips" off the roofed runs (funnelled into buckets), and that's without having gutters on all the roofing. The only time it doesn't provide enough is when we have warm nights, but as this property is located in a cold little "dip" in the terrain that doesn't happen much.

Pat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ooooooooooohh I want one of those!! That would be a great duck pond! I have clay soil, so it should be fairly easy to design and come up with one on my property :D I have to stay focused on my gardening right now though....maybe in a few months I could start planning one of those ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Water availability is a big issue here out west. I showed hubby the highlights of the information. He doesn't think it would work here. How small of a dew pond do you think I could make as a test? I have a little room in the front yard that I might be able to use as a testing area. It is a space I can't really grow much because of all the tree roots.

Do you think a modern version of shallow hole, straw lining, black pond liner and light colored rocks would work? The reason I say light colored rocks is they would not absorb loads of heat like dark rocks would.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Water availability is a big issue here our west. I showed hubby the highlights of the information. He doesn't think it would work here. How small of a dew pond do you think I could make as a test? I have a little room in the front yard that I might be able to use as a testing area. It is a space I can't really grow much because of all the tree roots.

Do you think a modern version of shallow hole, straw lining, black pond liner and light colored rocks would work? The reason I say light colored rocks is they would not absorb loads of heat like dark rocks would.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
You could line it with crushed limestone or marble for lighter stones to not absorb so much heat WZ. I think a small one would do just as well as a larger one, the only difference being the depth to keep it from evaporating so fast. If I were in your position I think I might try to make it more bowl shaped to add depth in the center of the pond, it would be a bit less surface area though, so not sure it would work as well. :hu It's a very cool concept though. Experiment a bit. Plants around yours for shade should optimize it's production though i would think. I say it's doable, but likely trial and error in a hot climate.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Shade isn't going to be a problem. The front yard is almost completely shaded by 2 huge maple trees.

As for the dew pond, maybe more of an upside-down UFO shape? That way if I do have evaporation from the edges I would still have water in the middle?

~~~~~~~~~~
\ /
----\ /-----
----

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
WZ the trees are spposed to be a good thing.