Alaskan's Life

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well!!

We both had eye check-ups yesterday, and we are both doing great!

Spouse is now off of restrictions (so is allowed to bend over and lift stuff).

No infections, healing nicely, Spouse is about 20/30!!!!!! And I am almost 20/20!!!

We are both over the moon thrilled!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh... with the eggs...

I had set them for the Easter hatch-a-long on BYC. But, CLEARLY too early in the year. Too little light, too much snow. Fertility was rock bottom bad.

With that group of eggs... there were 26 eggs at start... 5 Spitz, only the 2 fertile. 21 bantams and ONLY 1 fertile... it made it to hatch, but a little late, and got shrink wrapped and died...

So...

I set a new set of eggs as soon as those 2 little Spitz hatched. MUCH better!

Of 11 Spitz eggs, only 2 clear, 1 a super early death. So, 8 eggs growing well..... just over a week into incubation.

Out of 11 bantam eggs only 2 look really good. 4 are iffy. :rolleyes: (It is HARD for me to see into the blue eggs... so if there is any doubt i leave them in). The rest of the bantams are obvious clears. The bantams get WAY less light than the Spitz (coop location, and the Spitz coop is connected to the greenhouse), so I can't really fault them. I want to stuff the incubator with bantam eggs ... tomorrow... or Wednesday... as soon as I have a bunch... hope I get more chicks.... I only have 4 bantam girls... and they are old (can't remember how old), so I will keep hatching all summer until I get a nice set. Also, the Wheaten is a tricky color... hard to get good color... I sell the girls that don't turn out like I like.

I have one old lady Marans cross... she still lays... and is the only brown egg layer that I have left.... I would like 2 more young brown egg layers... but my old girl ... though she lays, her yolks are no longer strong. I want to try to hatch her eggs.... but I don't think any of her eggs will hatch... I will have to try and see.. because I REALLY don't feel like I can justify buying chickens just to add 2 brown egg layers to the flock.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well.... spouse now needs to add another eyedrop... one to help reduce eye pressure.

BUT, they said it is looking good... check up again on Thursday, for us both.

So, please keep praying... but it looks like it should all be fine.

God is always good, but right now this row is easy to hoe! And I am grateful! Over a week and only an inch of snow.

Kid 3 found a used truck to buy, right here in town, and it came with good winter tires. Poor child has now spent soooo much money... (to buy his first used truck, which he wrecked, and now this second one), I am a little worried he will not be able to put the maximum in his retirement account this year.... but he sure is a good man-child. I am thrilled he wasn't hurt... and hopefully he will now be more careful.

All 5 boys are home...

It was such a great joy this past weekend, with everyone in the family participating in the service! Kid 1 is sub-deacon, kid 2 and 4 and spouse all help me sing, kid 3 rings bells, kid 5 is altar server.

Sure is a great time of life. Might be the last Christmas that we are together... my boys are growing up!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad the eyes are healing well. You will be so thrilled with sight!!!🤗. Yep, about 6 weeks out before glasses to finish your venture. Thats how my mom's went.

I had my annual vision check, slight change for new glasses....of course! $$$. I've had a tiny start for a cataract in one eye for a looong time. Seems to be stagnant growth as the Dr said maybe 5 yrs out to be a concern. That's what they said almost 5 yrs ago. ;) I'm taking that as a sign it's "on hold" for development. Great news!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is winter....

So I hole up... school kids, do church music,church books... and try not to fall!!!

I have already fallen twice this year...

I bought new boots... I think they will help...

Last time I fell i was wearing my boots with spikes... but the ice was so cold and hard the spikes couldn't bite into the ice... so down I went.

The boots I just bought might help... super grippy 2 kinds of rubber specifically for ice. :fl

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I picked out a pair of Muck boots, with the ice tread.

They felt pretty good walking back and forth to church today.

Temps are low, and it is snowing again.

The temps are too low for the new snow to weld to the ice... so just horrid walking conditions.. .

And... I didn't fall. I could tell that I had to be careful to not let too much snow get between the boot and the ice.

Man... winter is just starting hard core... and I am all :tongue