aloha everyone

leihulu

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Im 27 yrs old and live on the big island. Ive come to you all because I have a sheep that was injured by ramming and was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them. This has saddened me terribly, hes not bearing weight on his front legs, only his bk. Which has prevented him from going anywhere. Any help is much appreciated. Mahalo

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. Is your sheep able to stand? Do you have any medications on hand? Is he still willing and/or able to eat and drink? Do you think this is a lameness problem or do you think it could be internal damage? Do you have a veterinarian you can call?

I wish you good luck with him.

leihulu

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi there. Yes I Took him to the vet. He was prescribed steroids to reduce inflammation in the head and pain medication. He is not able to stand alone. His front legs are like jello but his back legs are strong. He does eat and drink on his own. Something hes worked himself up to doing with in the past few days. He also is able to use the bathroom. My only concern is his front legs. I watched the incident as it happened. There was no injury done directly to the leg, which makes me wonder if it is internal such as the brain or neck. He was perfectly strong and in good health before this all happened. The vets here are very good with house pets but as far as sheep they tell me what I already know which isnt much and at all helpful. This is why im reaching out. Ive googled for days at a time and found nothing. Im praying someone out there has more insight on this. I do not want to put him down but also do not want him to suffer.

leihulu

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I also must add that he does move his head/neck...hes able to hold his head up and move it down and side to side to eat/drink. He also has feeling in every area of his body that I touch and hes also alert.

leihulu

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
He can sit up, and shows effort in trying to sit up everytime he feels himself sliding but he we have to position him first. He can do it on his own.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to get him to a vet. My guess is possibly nerve damage. I would think that if it were spinal it would extend to to his rear end also. Hopefully, the steroids will work their magic and reduce any swelling and pressure in the injured area.

I believe in giving animals a good chance. If he's still willing to eat then he hasn't given up yet. I would let him decide. I never give up on an animal until it's apparent that they've given up on themselves. Time and anti-inflammatories can do wonders!

I know it's hard to watch one of our critters when they are injured. :hugs Hope this has a happy ending.

leihulu

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to get him to a vet. My guess is possibly nerve damage. I would think that if it were spinal it would extend to to his rear end also. Hopefully, the steroids will work their magic and reduce any swelling and pressure in the injured area.

I believe in giving animals a good chance. If he's still willing to eat then he hasn't given up yet. I would let him decide. I never give up on an animal until it's apparent that they've given up on themselves. Time and anti-inflammatories can do wonders!

I know it's hard to watch one of our critters when they are injured. :hugs Hope this has a happy ending.

leihulu

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you :) so do I!!!