Also kinda obvious--get off your posterior!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
How many of you are committed to walking, biking or otherwise self-propelling yourself rather than driving?

I try really hard to never drive anywhere closer than 6 miles away, but it really takes a commitment to stick to that. (and I don't always manage that :rolleyes:)

Does anybody else out there set goals to keep themselves active and not using gas?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I walk every morning - but I can't walk or bike to the appointments I have during the day, they're timed too close (I drive from studio to studio to teach). I have a more fuel efficient car, but that's as good as it's going to get around here, there's absolutely no public transportation.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We take the dog on nightly walks after dinner. We are not close enough to safety walk/ride bikes to anything except the neighborhood across the road for a bike ride.

**But we go the gym 3-4 times/week and I teach group fitness.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I live too far out of town to be able to walk to do errands. our "town" has a variety store, and thats it.

i have to shop at a town 15-20 minutes away (driving at 80kmh) so I line up all my errands on grocery day.

And if I need anything in "town", we haul our own water, so we usually get water when we need to go to the store.

So, unfortunately, walking , other than for pleasure, is out.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Hardly ever walk more than to the mail box about 1000 ft away. Everything is uphill or down hill here (seriously) and there is nothing but residences for 7 miles. I will walk to the little post office about 2 miles away when there is call but most of my time is spent around my own place.
I try to go to town no more than once in 2 weeks but lately it's been every week, darn it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Alas, living on a small but VERY busy rural road with huge numbers of commuters and gravel trucks whizzing by all day at 65-75 mph (no kidding), it is impossible for me to walk or bicycle anywhere :(

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
All of these replies are reminding me that rural America/Canada is not really set up for public transit or others ways of traveling (bike paths, walking paths). I sometimes get a crick in my neck constantly turning around to check for traffic while out on our country roads. I just KNOW I'm going to die someday while crossing the road to quick get to an asparagus hot spot (in the ditch on the other side)!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
All of these replies are reminding me that rural America/Canada is not really set up for public transit or others ways of traveling (bike paths, walking paths). I sometimes get a crick in my neck constantly turning around to check for traffic while out on our country roads. I just KNOW I'm going to die someday while crossing the road to quick get to an asparagus hot spot (in the ditch on the other side)!
I have a huge asparagus plot just on the other side of my gravel road, with some more just down the other gravel road(in the ditch also). I do walk to them in the spring, and I love having enough asparagus in my freezer for the winter.

Pleas be safe but don't give up your wild asparagus!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bike when camping etc. for fun. I walk the farm all day (have too..LOL) so basically I don't walk or bike for errands at all.....everything is too far away and the main road is dangerous. No way I am biking out there :) one moped guy that rode for years got hit by a car and passed away about 5 mos. ago......reminder to me that it just isn't safe enough.

I wish I had public transportation and such but it isn't here.

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as miss_thenorth and patandchickens. Almost everything is a good 20 miles away or more, so I make 1 trip in when I need to run errands and try to get everything done at once. I also live on a very busy road. (All those city folk trying to get to the lake, factory workers getting to and fro, and farm equipment.) The traffic is fast and constant, making taking a stroll around here a dangerous endevour!