Amazing honour system

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We went to visit a sculpture park in Wicklow today and though I saw the "honour system" to some small extend here it was usually eggs for sale at farm gates. This place took it to a level that completely blew me away.

First, when we arrived, there was a small wood hut and a sign at the entrance:

IMG_1997.jpg

There was no-one in the hut, just a man with a dog, sitting outside, not checking we pay, he was more interested in chatting with us about the park. We did the tour and eventually ended up at the shop, which was unattended and full of the most amazing stuff! Non-precious jewellery, ornaments, all sorts of wonderful things and….

IMG_20180904_144142.jpg

There was no-one and no obvious security cameras (though I'm sure there must've been some tucked away somewhere? They had no way of checking if we put the correct amount of money into the slot. It felt amazing to be trusted like that! We bought a few items and I made sure to carefully calculate the total and put the correct amount into the slot. (The change basket was empty). It was an amazing experience for sure.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is a dairy a couple of counties over that uses an honor system. He gets ripped off sometimes, but for the most part it works. That had to be a refreshing experience for you!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my years of selling jewelry at art shows I learned that for the most part, people act the way you expect them to act. If you expect them to be honest, they will be honest and vice versa. I don't know if it's body language or something else. In 10 years, I only had 3 items shoplifted.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sadly in S.A. with the crime and poverty issues we had there people would thank you and empty the shop! lol I really love seeing things like this here and that it works so well for them :) It felt good to be trusted like that.

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is awesome! I wish the world could be this way everywhere! There are too many dishonest people out there, and it makes things harder on the honest ones! Thank you for sharing it makes me happy to see there that trust.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Friend of mine in NC did the honesty system with eggs. He constantly was being robbed of not only eggs but also money honest people paid for the eggs. I was over there one time when I caught one of the thieves. He tied him up with rope and had his shot gun on him the whole time until the police showed up. Needless to say he was fed up with being robbed and took matters into his own hands.

I can not stand a thief, so I try and not be one. I can't count the number of times I walked out of a store with something in my cart that I didn't pay for (accidentally). They usually are very surprised when I walk back in the store pushing my cart with my receipt in hand saying you didn't charge me for this item. It's very hard to not become an accidental thief sometimes but I try hard not to be one.

My dad beat my ass only one time for stealing a candy bar from a store when I was a kid. I not only had to take it back and appolgize but my dad made me volenteer 10 hours to work in the store and then I was grounded to my room for 2 weeks. So yeah... I don't like theives one little bit.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thieves make everything cost more for all of us, since businesses charge extra to make up for losses. I know that they will be judged, but....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We suffered substantial losses to thieves on our farm in S.A. when we lived there. It's frustrating and disheartening when you work hard on something and invest a lot of money, only for people to come help themselves.

I'm teaching my son to ASK for things he wants, to leave things alone when in doubt if it's o.k. to take it or not and to accept that sometimes there are things he just can't have.

@CrealCritter I love people that do what you do, take things back that you haven't paid for, etc. The world needs more of that!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We suffered substantial losses to thieves on our farm in S.A. when we lived there. It's frustrating and disheartening when you work hard on something and invest a lot of money, only for people to come help themselves.

I'm teaching my son to ASK for things he wants, to leave things alone when in doubt if it's o.k. to take it or not and to accept that sometimes there are things he just can't have.

@CrealCritter I love people that do what you do, take things back that you haven't paid for, etc. The world needs more of that!

Continue to teach him right, don't ever give up! I was a strubron kid and a rebelious teen but thankfully my dad was heavy handed and didn't hesitate to set me straight when I needed it. In the same breath he was a very loving and encouraging father. He always challenged to learn new things and if I got stuck he was right there helping me work trough whatever it was. I loved going fishing with him every Saturday morning in the spring and summer (weather permitting), it's some very fond memories for sure. I learned so many life lessons, sitting there on the bank of the river with my dad, just talking.

Latest posts