American History

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
My DGD10 was in fifth grade this year and was to have learned American History. She didn't, really. She learned about indians and Benjamin Franklin. She may have learned more, but that is all she remembers. Her teacher is a laid back, surfer dude type that focused on relationships more than scholarship.

I keep DGD10 every summer and every year we have a mini summer school. Last year it was on California History, and we ended the summer with a trip to a California mission.

This year, I want to focus on American history. Not revisionist garbage that makes sure the kids know that Washington owned slaves or that Franklin was a bit of a ladies man. I want her to learn the values that were at the heart of the founding of our nation, the things they stood for and stood against. Not just the key on a string or the one if by land and two if by sea. She seems to be open to it, but I have no materials geared for her age.

Does anyone here have a good source for grade 5-6 US History course outlines, maybe books, CD games, movies, etc? She is an inveterate reader, so character driven, age appropriate stories work very well.

Anyway, any help?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like this series:

http://www.amazon.com/History-US-11...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273376676&sr=8-1

51uiGPnv6OL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

The History of US by Joy Hakim

The writing style is very easy to read and interesting. If she finds a particular part or person interesting, I'd check out a bunch of books from the library about it. I think its always good to get more than one person's point of view on historical subjects.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think the library might be the best choice !!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I grew up reading the constitution and papers written by the founding fathers. We'd sit and discuss what life was like and what they were risking and why it was so important to them.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You are indeed fortunate, abi. We did that as well, and it meant a lot to me. My daughter was not interested in history growing up. She is a math whiz. I have always loved history, because when it is told correctly and without agenda, it inspires us and motivates us to be better people. So, I want to pass some of that on to DGD10. She is interested in the stories of people an dtheir struggles and the kind of "stuff" they are made of.

I think I will look into Bill Bennett's books on history. He did some great work on character studies, values and American History. When I homeschooled D, we used his text "The Book of Virtues" extensively. Those things were beautifully passed on to DGD10, but she has precious little knowlegde of what made this country great.

I am impressed with your upbringing !

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Thanks!

I know that most people don't realize anything about the birth of this country. Most people think that the Brits were tyrants and all of America ran to Boston, threw some tea off a boat, and went to war, joyously, for Freedom.

LOL!!!

Most folk were just farmers and were far more interested in their harvest than a war that threatened their livelihoods. Our founding fathers were among the best propagandists in history!

It still bothers me people count Washington as the first President when he was the fourth. He was the first elected president. We are also a republic, not a democracy. I could go on and on...

How can people return to the ideals of this country if they don't know what they were?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You have to wonder if today's politicians understand what their predecessors went through as they took a stand against the oppression of the British. Who today would pledge their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor for the good of the country? No, they are too busy taking bribes from lobbyists and meeting with their multiple mistresses in clandestined locations.

For me, the reason our countrymen do not know anything about the greatness of the founders is because values have become things to be ridiculed. We refuse to honor the sacrifices made for freedom because we know we, ourselves, could never stand the test. We stand for nothing, so we fall for anything.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
You have to wonder if today's politicians understand what their predecessors went through as they took a stand against the oppression of the British. Who today would pledge their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor for the good of the country? No, they are too busy taking bribes from lobbyists and meeting with their multiple mistresses in clandestined locations.

For me, the reason our countrymen do not know anything about the greatness of the founders is because values have become things to be ridiculed. We refuse to honor the sacrifices made for freedom because we know we, ourselves, could never stand the test. We stand for nothing, so we fall for anything.
I have nothing to add. That was perfect. :clap

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could check out An Old-Fashioned Education http://oldfashionededucation.com/
When ever I want to add a supplement I usually just go here to find it. I've been really happy with their history and science sections. Best of all, everything is online so you don't really have to worry about finding the books if the library doesn't have it. For biographies I would look up books by Ingri D'Aulaire. They are beautifully illustrated and full of interesting facts about the whole life, not just a small section. They might be a little young for her but would serve as a good introduction if she wants to learn more she could delve deeper and find more age appropriate books. Though my nine year old still really likes them. Another good way to learn is through historical fiction. She could read great books like Calico Girl, Johnnie Tremaine, and the Little House books. This sounds like fun! Good luck!

dinesh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Edited - no racist comments will be allowed