AmericanHomesteader...Life in the Desert totally Off-Grid!!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Let me say how much i enjoy this forum, i have been reading the post for a long time and decided to join in :) We are blessed to get our Inheritance early, My mother gave us a 12 acre ranch in arizona close to McNeal. She had a building built and fenced in 2 acres around it. That was her gift to us 3 years ago.

As the economy has been getting really bad here in georgia and all our neighbors have been losing there homes, My DW talked to me about moving out to the ranch and become homesteaders, She is 42 and i'm 51 we have 2 kids at home still and one married. We have been married now for a happy 16 years :) So we started on our plan about 1 1/2 years ago. We are now ready to make our move in March 2012. We are both from farms as kids and we garden every year here.

We decided to start down sizing our belongings. We will replace furniture once we are out there. Thank god for freecycle and craigslist lol. We lost most of our savings in a 401K so were doing this on a shoestring. We will have about 6K when we arrive there. My DW is a state licensed cna and can transfer her license to arizona for a 50 dollar fee, she wants me to stay home and work the homestead as she works part time to provide some income. The worst part is unplugging the kids from cable tv, telephone and xbox lol. We plan on being very active members on the forum and posting our move and what we do on our homestead. We will be doing as much solar usage as we can from cooking to power.

Again thank you all for your wonderful post in this forum and i hope i can help out as well.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sounds good!!! We arent off grid but it could happen quickly if need be.......

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We...DH and myself...are finding that "going off grid" ....and being SS...is a continuous challenge in everything we thought we knew. It has been one slow step at a time....climbing up a mountain blindfolded with our hands tied behind our backs. So far...the house/land is paid in full. We have well water. Refused to hook up cable or satellite.
Reduce....reuse...and recycle. Catch rainwater for non potable uses. Got some chickens...for free. And are currently working with them to see if they lay eggs.....or sleep with noodles. I hang out laundry to dry...after I have washed and rinsed it with rainwater.
The problem is mainly going to be electricity. We need electricity. We have no insulation in most of the main house, but we still have to keep warm. Even with layering, it is colder that h*&^! in here. We have electric appliances..stove, fridge....etc...even though we got those used and way cheap. So...>>sigh<< ..we jut keep looking and hunting on the net ...to find information....supplies...etc.
Oh, we also have a few garden spots...but they are only somewhat productive right now.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats to you. :thumbsup Good luck with your move. Hope your well doesn't go dry and keep your powder dry. :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AmericanHomesteader said:
Let me say how much i enjoy this forum, i have been reading the post for a long time and decided to join in :) We are blessed to get our Inheritance early, My mother gave us a 12 acre ranch in arizona close to McNeal. She had a building built and fenced in 2 acres around it. That was her gift to us 3 years ago.

As the economy has been getting really bad here in georgia and all our neighbors have been losing there homes, My DW talked to me about moving out to the ranch and become homesteaders, She is 42 and i'm 51 we have 2 kids at home still and one married. We have been married now for a happy 16 years :) So we started on our plan about 1 1/2 years ago. We are now ready to make our move in March 2012. We are both from farms as kids and we garden every year here.

We decided to start down sizing our belongings. We will replace furniture once we are out there. Thank god for freecycle and craigslist lol. We lost most of our savings in a 401K so were doing this on a shoestring. We will have about 6K when we arrive there. My DW is a state licensed cna and can transfer her license to arizona for a 50 dollar fee, she wants me to stay home and work the homestead as she works part time to provide some income. The worst part is unplugging the kids from cable tv, telephone and xbox lol. We plan on being very active members on the forum and posting our move and what we do on our homestead. We will be doing as much solar usage as we can from cooking to power.

Again thank you all for your wonderful post in this forum and i hope i can help out as well.
:frow :welcome

Went on your website (from a different post) - beautiful piece of property! What a view to wake up to every morning!

What type of building is on it? A pole building? Is it habitable, or will you have work to do to it once you get there?

Look forward to reading more!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to the forum! :frow

Glad you decided to join us and am looking forward to reading the posts about your journey!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I look forward to reading about your move and homestead!!!!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A big warm welcome!

Can't wait to read about your big adventure. :celebrate

What a wonderful inheritance, and great to get it early.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts