And in the news today...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good grief! The story was interesting, but couldn't the reporter at least get the species right?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed. The fact that the photo showed A BABY CHICKEN, while the boy reportedly hatched a duck egg makes the entire article suspect. Granted, there are plenty of "Trader Joe" eggs that are hatched from a carton that is labeled "fertile eggs". But, seriously, if they can't report the news accurately, then it's NOT NEWS.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ahh, you guys I missed that completely... Well, I just emailed them and pointed out their errors and also said that:

"Also, quoting your article here: "After three days of shining a torch on to the egg shells, Atkins was reportedly shocked to see a beating heart and the chick hatch." In that case the egg must have been a balut egg as ducklings take roughly 28 days to incubate and some even longer."

I'll let you know if... IF I hear back from them :caf

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After three days of shining a torch on to the egg shells, Atkins was reportedly shocked to see a beating heart and the chick hatch."
LOL - I did see that and thought it was a bit "off." To say the least...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Just a little bit... A few months ago I found a cute duckling pic in a magazine with the accompanying text referring to it over and over as a chick. :hu I understand that people are so far away from their food sources nowadays that they won't recognise half the meat on their plate as newborns, but you'd expect editors and publishers to check and make sure they use the correct terms, etc?