animal feed?

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hello!
i'm very much a back-to-the-land type of person. i'm trying to become self-sufficient. and i've been thinking about feed...
does anyone mix or grow there own feed for any livestock?
i'm growing tons of indian corn this year and if i can find somewhere to buy then also soy beans. and we do our own hay. and i'd like to grow oats or barley. what is best for hand harvesting? the animals always get extras like garden weeds and kitchen scraps. since i must start small- becuase i'm doing everything myself- i was thinking i could buy my regular feed and slowly dilute it to my own mix...
since i already have the goats i'll start with them. i was thinking sunflower seeds, indian corn, soybeans, oats, barley -to start mixing with the regular feed. and of course hay, garden weeds, corn stalks, etc.
right now i have dairy goats and i'm going to buy some angora goats this week.
and later i'd like to add meat rabbits, coturnix quail, pigs, cows, chickens, and a horse or two.
any suggestions are welcome!
thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I'd skip the soy. It will mess with fertility of your critters, as it does with humans. We need our homestead animals to be fertile!

There are several fairly current threads here on this topic, have you done a search? I think we've all typed in our methods and ideas several times already....I don't mean to be rude at all.....but.....can you resurrect a thread on this and see if you still have questions? ;)