Animals and vaccinations.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
i hesitate to post this on BYH, but I will if I have to. However, I thought to post it here, since I am def. more comfortable here.

My new calf is three months old. Almost 4. She was born on pasture, and raised on it until I took her home. Her previous owner had just taken her and her mom off it when he put her up for sale. She was totally weaned, naturally, when i got her. She has not had any vaccinations or worming. She is doing wonderfully. I checked her eyelids and they are bright salmon-y red. which tells me that she doesn't have a heavy worm load. I joined this forum dedicated to cows, and they are telling me that I need to vaccinate her for brucellosis or bangs disease. I am not pro-vaccination, am leary of them. Brucellosis, apparently can cause abortions, and sterility.And can cause undulant fever in humans.

http://cattletoday.info/brucellosis.htm

So. Do i vaccinate her? Is it proven that the vaccination can actually prevent this from happening? What are your thoughts on this? I also have hesitation to vaccinate our horses, but I have so far, b/c we are members of a trailriding club, and they require it. But it goes against what i believe.

Are certain vaccinations required by law? I think this one is in the states, but not sure about in Canada, --omafra's sight tells me nothing.

Opinions please. ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Shoot, I know nothing about cows and vaccs....but a thought, you decide if it applies or not....will she have contact with other cows, or are there any nearby? Will people be going on and off your property who have cows, bringing germs on their boots? How is this disease spread? Will you breed her via AI or live cover?

Etc....That is how my thought process goes for vaccinations. My house cats have none. My dogs get rabies because that is required by law. I have them titered for other stuff but it all went to pot when I had to have emergency surgery on one pooch, and they wouldn't listen to what I wanted, they gave him every vaccination known to canines.

I left that practice for good.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We used to raise beef cattle. We always vaccinated. But if this calf is never going to live anywhere other than your farm, then personally I wouldnt vaccinate. But if you are going to sell it then yes vaccinate away for biosecurity reasons.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings on vaccinations, both for animals and people. My house cats don't get vaccinations. But, my outside animals are vaccinated. They do come in contact w/other animals. Plus, I have a friend who let a family member keep a horse on her property. The family member refused to vaccinate the horse. The horse got tetanus, and died. There was no visible wound on the horse.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, I think if I were in your shoes, and you are going to milk and eat that cow eventually, I would use a very minimal vaccination approach. I don't vaccinate my animals. my kids all had thier baby needles, but back then they weren't as many as they bombard those babies with now...

I think it has to be done in moderation, do some research and find out what diseases can affect your family negatively. Vaccinate against the bad ones. As for the cow itself, I'd take the chances on whatever she might get that can't be passed on to humans in some way...if you lose the cow to some disease it won't be nearly as bad as hurting your family and feeling badly for the rest of your life.
But that is just my take:>)

Oh, but definitely deworm.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What is your purpose for her? If your keeping her to breed then I would have it done since she has to be exposed to a bull and they can be carriers, as well as she might have to travel to his farm to see him. If she is for the freezer then I would not. Also look at the rates of the disease in your area and inquire to the local bull owners if they are doing their herds. Might even ask if they require outside cows to be vaccinated. I'm not pro vaccine either so if others in my area are not doing it and not finding issue with it I would probably follow suit.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am waiting on a microscope to do fecals, to check worm loads. I will deworm accordingly. but as far as the vaccinating is concerned, I am still researching, but also came to you guys for opinions--there are alot fo ppl whose opinions I trust here. i am not a big fan , and am not overly convinced, that vaccinations do in fact prevent the actual illness from ocurring.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would email or PM jhm47. He is on here but he is on BYH much more often. He has a great knowledge and could answer your questions. I vaccinate as minimally as possible for my animals but there are some vaccines that really are too important to miss. I don't know what cows need but I do vaccinate my alpacas and goats with CD/T. CD are clostridiums and T is Tetanus. Those can be deadly quick with little to no warning.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I am waiting on a microscope to do fecals, to check worm loads. I will deworm accordingly. but as far as the vaccinating is concerned, I am still researching, but also came to you guys for opinions--there are alot fo ppl whose opinions I trust here. i am not a big fan , and am not overly convinced, that vaccinations do in fact prevent the actual illness from ocurring.
they don't ALWAYS prevent the actual illness, no...I lost my faith in them when my vets own vaccinated dog died from parvo:>)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I vaccinate none at all here and didn't vaccinate the calf born to my cow. If they had stayed here I still would not have done so.

I'll do a rabies vac if my dogs are going to be going into and near the public frequently but otherwise never do.

Vaccinations need to be weighed as to their need or relative worth individually. I don't believe in blanket vaccinations just because the doctors or vet docs say its warranted but can see the need for some vaccines when pertinent to your own situation.

Go with your heart and deal with the consequences, or the lack thereof, is what I always say! :)

Latest posts