Another "new" addition to the family

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, looks like I have a few inditions to build this week. The neighbor, from a mile down the road, just dropped off two roosters. I have them in a medium sized dog crate, outside the coop, but still inside the 6' x 12' x 7' h run, to integrate them into the family.
Looks as though i'm spurring a SS movement in my community. The neighbor decided to get 27 chicks, 5 months ago. They are first timers with chickens. They just picked up 12 guinea chicks yesterday, also a first for them..
I picked up 8 ducklings on Thurs night, and all are doing well. They were a week old at that point. The lings are inside the coop under a heat lamp, in a small dog crate. The coop is 6'x6'x6'h, with 12 nesting boxes. I built it for my original 14 hens.
I currently have 5 chicken hens. I lost 2 the first winter from cold, and 7 late this winter from varmits. I may need a bigger coop soon!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow, you better get to building! Congrats on the additions to the feathered family :)

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you.
Well it just started raining! The roos are now "inside too. I forgot the run only had a wire roof, and it didn't cross my mind till it started rainin.:lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You could always put a tarp up for now. That's what I have over my chicks to give them a shaded place as well as to hopefully keep their feed dry. I'm hoping in the not too distant future to build a smaller coop for a broody and/or chicks.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very nice! You may find you don't need as many nesting boxes though, they have a tendency to pick a few boxes and they will all use those... I over built my nesting boxes too... I used what hey didn't for storage :idunno Yep! Better get to adding coop space! Chicken math will catch up REAL soon! :lol:

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i think there should be a warning somewhere:

" WARNING...POULTRY IS ADDICTIVE!!!"

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i think there should be a warning somewhere:

" WARNING...POULTRY IS ADDICTIVE!!!"
Didn't You see the tiny label on the bottom of their feet, left leg for roosters, right for hens? Seriously now where did your losses take place in the coop or outside? If varmits can get in your coops I think you are better off just providing shelter from the rain and a place for them to look for their feed and water. I came to that conclusion after suffering a series of attacks by pack animals- dogs coyote- and/or coy-dogs. These will hunt night or day. When they managed to get in the coops [night or day) they killed every bird and took a few for lunch and left the bodies for me. When the attack was outside the coop [days] they killed no more than one bird each. There were no bodies left behind, just feathers and blood to mark a foul end. (sorry about the pun it was a mistake that I decided not to correct. My theory is that they will kill any bird they can and when they are cooped the birds can't excape. In an open attack each varmit grabs one and the rest scatter. run, roost high, get on the pond whatever. Just something to consider when planing coops, make them tight or don't bother.~gd

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
gd, yes I have yotes here too. The coop wasn't locked up by me. I lock every night now! I am going to reinforce the bottom 4', I have some 1/2" hardware cloth. The hens were beheaded, and eaten one by one, after being left scattered throughout the woods. All 7 were killed the same night not sure but probably outside. There was no evidence inside, but wasn't locked or closed, so?
Reinforcement idea was to keep snakes out. Nothin poisonous here, just PIA rat snakes.

ruffledfeathers1234

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Mr.Andersson said:
Well, looks like I have a few inditions to build this week. The neighbor, from a mile down the road, just dropped off two roosters. I have them in a medium sized dog crate, outside the coop, but still inside the 6' x 12' x 7' h run, to integrate them into the family.
Looks as though i'm spurring a SS movement in my community. The neighbor decided to get 27 chicks, 5 months ago. They are first timers with chickens. They just picked up 12 guinea chicks yesterday, also a first for them..
I picked up 8 ducklings on Thurs night, and all are doing well. They were a week old at that point. The lings are inside the coop under a heat lamp, in a small dog crate. The coop is 6'x6'x6'h, with 12 nesting boxes. I built it for my original 14 hens.
I currently have 5 chicken hens. I lost 2 the first winter from cold, and 7 late this winter from varmits. I may need a bigger coop soon!
Theres nothing like raising ducks giuneas and chickens. I find it very enjoyable.