Another reason to raise our own animals and eat "real food".

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Check out these ingredients.

These are all made with corn:

modified cornstarch
monoglycerides
triglycerides
diglycerides
dextros
lecithin
vegetable shortning (can be corn or soy)
partially hydrogenated corn oil
citric acid

Synthetic ingredients in food (from a petroleum refinery or chemical plant):

sodium aluminum phosphate
monocalcium phosphate
sodium acid pyrophosphate
calcium lactate

Toxic chemicals added to food:

dimethylpolysiloxene (it is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen and reproductive effector; it's also flammable!!) It is added to cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules, so as to produce foam during the fry.

If that scares the hell out of you, guess what, those are some of the ingredients in McDonald's chicken mcnuggets!!!!

Here is the most shocking ingredient:

tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidiant derived from petroleum that is sprayed on the mcnuggets (or the box) to preserve freshness.

TBHQ is a form of butane and the FDA allows processors to use in food...sparingly. :rolleyes: Thanks FDA.

Can you tell, I'm in the process of reading The Omnivore's Dilemma? :p

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Excellent post! I will pipe in and say that lecithin is also frequently produced with soy. So, double bleh! :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Did you know that rosemary has equally good antioxidant properties as TBHQ? Don't you think rosemary mcnuggets would taste better?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks Noobie! My original post was going to be about the many names of corn on food labels. I sorta got side tracked though.

That list really helps! Shocking isn't it???

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really don't understand corn at all. What's the fascination? Sure, it tastes good, but why is it such a huge cash crop? There are so many other crops out there that produce MUCH more in the same amount of space, with more nutrition in the feed products to boot.