Any Experience: Trenchless Sewer Line Repair Re-Piped?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Every year our old terracotta sewer line gets plugged with tree roots and we have to have it rootered out. A huge mess, super inconvenient, and costly.

I hear radio ads for trenchless re-piping and was wondering if anybody has had it done? A few years ago I got a bunch of general quotes. They range from $3,500 - $7,000 for a 50 foot "pull" of high grade plastic line. That doesn't include city permits which are probably another $1,500. At the time I decided to just deal with it when it happens... but it happened yet again, and this time it was really gross!
sickbyc.gif

We went about 2 years with no problems, but this year we had it back up 6 months ago and again today. I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and get it done.

So, anybody ever have this done? Any thoughts or comments?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When my grandparents tree roots were interfering with their septic system, they opted to having the tree cut down and added some field drains. It still feels like that tree would be there.
I'm probably having a related problem, and would need to most likely start over with a new septic tank, but I'm opting for installing a privy, taking very short showers and doing whatever possible to avoid flooding my back yard. If I have to include the permit office in anything, I loose my grandfather privileges.
Maybe if all around your septic tank you can put a bunch of plastic drums and fill them with glass bottles from bars and if the drum has a few holes drilled in the sides, it would allow for drainage and protect the septic system. Then just cover the drums with a tarp or tar paper and bury. I like to stay under the radar.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the great reply!

Yes, it's tree roots getting into the sewer line that drains from our house to the main city sewer line.

We definitely don't want to cut down the trees,especially since we're not sure exactly which ones might be causing the problem.

I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and just get the line replaced, or just have someone come out every 6 months and pro-actively root the line clear.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
According to the article, the poison only kills the roots that are in the pipe, not the tree. So he would get to keep his trees!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
What kinds of trees do you have? Willow is a horrible one to have any place near water. It needs to be at least 50 ft. away from any source of water.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We have a sycamore that's right by the sewer line, but people say it's probably also the mulberry that's a bit further away, but known to be terrible with aggressive roots.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'd lean more towards the sycamore. They like water.