Any experience with LED Lanterns (long-lasting room light)?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just bought hubby one for his birthday. it was $45
It is very very bright. It is rechargeable and works off 4 D batteries.
recharge battery is 8 hrs. and on 4Ds it is 67 hrs burn time.

I love it. Good lantern for the price. we needed a new one for poewr outages and night fishing.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I just bought hubby one for his birthday. it was $45
It is very very bright. It is rechargeable and works off 4 D batteries.
recharge battery is 8 hrs. and on 4Ds it is 67 hrs burn time.

I love it. Good lantern for the price. we needed a new one for poewr outages and night fishing.
What brand & model did you get him?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I ordered one of these, and it arrived a couple days ago:
http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DL...4XIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331388923&sr=8-1

:thumbsup

I'm happy with it. Two main settings for constant light: one simply bright (and the alkaline batteries are said to last 150 hours on this setting); one very bright (and the batteries are said to last 72 hours on this setting). There's also a pulsed signal-type setting, sort of strobe-like. There's a light diffuser that you leave in-place on the lantern normally, but you can remove it if you want a very intense point-source light.

The unit has a rubber non-skid covering at the bottom. There's a handle on top, a hanging hook underneath. It closes up really tight, and is certainly water-resistant. I think you could drop it in a bath tub or lake and find it's practically water-proof!

Comes w/o batteries, so you have to provide three D-cells.

Our livingroom has cedar-board panelling and ceiling. And in an environment lacking a really reflective light-colored surface (like painted drywall), it's quite impressive that this little lantern provides lots of room light.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wanted to revive this discussion. Two reasons... One, there was a big tragic landslide that wreaked havoc on a rural nighborhood that's about a 90-minute drive from me, cutting off their electric power and otherwise disrupting everybody's life (including those of some friends of ours). That reminded me of the emergency need of these landterns. But second, the lantern that I described above (in post #25 in this thread) is great, though someone I know looked at it and said "but it's made of plastics and pretty small - doen't anyone make one like this that is a bit more substantial, and made with a metal casing?"

So I'm putting it out to the people who post here. Do you know of an LED battery-powered lantern (not a flashlight) that has the qualities of the one I described, but is maybe more rugged?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate it when I answer myself on threads. :sick

But I do it sometimes in order to share info that I've coaxed out somewhere else...

This one looks good. It's an updated version of the familiar, traditional Coleman kerosene or white-gas lantern - updated in the sense of being battery & LED:
http://www.cabelas.com/lanterns-col...=02923608&rid=10&WT.tsrc=AFF&WT.mc_id=k150962

Downside: it costs about three times as much as the one I bought and described above.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That one still looks like it is made of plastic?

"Weather-resistant construction" etc. not usually words that go along with metal construction...

edit: fwiw, my Lee Valley lantern takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'--can't count the number of times it's been knocked over or dropped and it's still going strong :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:

"Weather-resistant construction" etc. not usually words that go along with metal construction...
Yeah, I can't say for sure. On the other forum that I posted on, I did specify that I wanted to find out about one with a metal housing. I presumed that the guy who responded and recommended this Coleman lantern had read my question.

moolie said:
fwiw, my Lee Valley lantern takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'--can't count the number of times it's been knocked over or dropped and it's still going strong :)
Good to hear, moolie.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
moolie said:

Yeah, I can't say for sure. On the other forum that I posted on, I did specify that I wanted to find out about one with a metal housing. I presumed that the guy who responded and recommended this Coleman lantern had read my question..
I hope so, that would be a cool lantern if actually made of metal, and more worth the price.