Any faux wood finish experts here?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I need practical advice on how to achieve faux cherry wood finish for
interior.

What colors are used for cherry? The glaze?
Cherry has a fine grain, so I just use a brush?

I will be doing a pair of factory primed metal french doors;
a wall previously painted with an unknown type of paint;
a painted timber that I believe was possibly originally a creosote soaked billboard post from the 1950's(long story).
Do these need to be primed first and with what? Kilzs or special primer?

I have never attempted this and know next to nothing.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the work this guy did on the doors in his old victorian house (since I bought an old house to restore, I'm a bit of an old house geek) He did his faux wood in an oak finish, but I'm assuming you could use the same principles.

He painted the wood a cream colour, then used wood grain tool (you can buy them in fine grains too for cherry) with a dark oak stain... then painted a third time with just the stain over top of the wood grain... it looks fantastic.

This link should take you to how they did the refinishing on pine to make it look like english oak around the windows.

http://www.ourvictorianhouse.com/Parlor.htm#The Windows

I'm sure someone else will have much more helpful advice than I do :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
That was a magnificent job!

I read directions on how to carve a potato for the wood grain tool!

Cherry has a very fine grain-I was toying with the idea of using a feather as they do with faux marble fireplace surrounds for the fine grain. I have loads of chicken feathers, lol!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
I like the work this guy did on the doors in his old victorian house (since I bought an old house to restore, I'm a bit of an old house geek) He did his faux wood in an oak finish, but I'm assuming you could use the same principles.

He painted the wood a cream colour, then used wood grain tool (you can buy them in fine grains too for cherry) with a dark oak stain... then painted a third time with just the stain over top of the wood grain... it looks fantastic.

This link should take you to how they did the refinishing on pine to make it look like english oak around the windows.

http://www.ourvictorianhouse.com/Parlor.htm#The Windows

I'm sure someone else will have much more helpful advice than I do :)
OMG!!!!!!!!! I LOVEthat site!!!!!! I just spent an hour reading. I have it bookmarked so I can finish it tomorrow...

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
The secret room under the stairs with the invisible hinges and trip switch was brilliant, too!