Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm going to be making about 80 lbs of cabbages into sauerkraut this weekend. I was wondering if anyone else makes their own delicious sauerkraut. I'll post pics and do a little write up of how I make sauerkraut in 5 gallon food grade buckets.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you can it afterwards or just dip it outta the crock when you want some?

The first few times we dipped out of the bucket (I wished I had a real crock). But now we can (water bath) it because it's much more convenient and easier to store for us. I tell you one thing though your talking about some lip smacking polish sausage and kraut though, my grandkids love it and actually lick their plates clean. Rubens are delicious also :)

It's definitely time to make another 70 lbs - it's a sad day when there's only 2 quarts left from December 2015 in the pantry.
IMG_20171111_202336397.jpg

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When we were kids, we'd help my grandmother make a HUGE crock of sauerkraut every fall. We'd have big cheese graters and would grate the cabbages into big pails that would then be dumped into the big crock in the basement. I can't count the number of times we literally added our own blood to the batches by scraping them on the (cheese) graters when we tried to get those last chunks cut up.

My favorite recipe for kraut is to brown knockwurst or bratwurst and then put it in the bottom of a stoneware pan. Cover with Bavarian sauerkraut (it is slightly sweeter and has caraway seeds - don't drain the sauerkraut), cover this with mashed potatoes (like you would for a shepherd's pie) and bake until heated through. In the last ten minutes, add cheese to the top, and let it melt. YUM!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picture of my first ferment attempt at 1 lb carrots, 2 lbs beets and 2 lbs cabbage all shredded weight. I peeled the carrots and beets with a potato peeler, then shredded them. So I guess this would be a raw ferment, since I didn't cook any of the ingredients.

First taste test after skimming, there was scum to skim. it's got a good taste and the carrots and beets are crunchy. Still need more time to ferment, it's still a little to salty. The ferment seems to be rolling along nicely. Interested to see how this experiment turns out. If it's good I'll post the recipe.
IMG_20230104_192208088.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last week, DH and I started to get another head cold. We immediately started taking our Elderberry syrup (1 oz) 4 times a day, and within two days, we were feeling fine, albeit with a slight drainage of clear mucous from the sinuses. Then, for 4 days, we took an oz twice a day. We will now take one oz daily until the end of flu season.

We've discovered a delicious way to drink it, is to add about 3oz of Perriet (unsweetened carbonated water) to it and sip. YUM!!!

A friend ended up with a very bad case of the flu, and when he went to the doctor, who wanted to admit him to the hospital. He was told, by the doctor, that since we haven't had a major flu outbreak in many years, they are looking for a world wide epidemic.

So, my question is . . . since we are having a major push to get the flu shot (from the doctor's office to pharmacies to the grocery store), and so many people are getting flu shots (DH and I NOT included), why are they expecting a world wide epidemic???? I have seen TV commercials that say, even if you get the flu shot, you could get the flu, "but just not as bad as if you didn't get the flu shot". I have heard of people who got the flu shot ending up in the hospital, because they got so sick from the flu. HUH????? No thank you! I'm not getting the flu shot!

I have a theory: I heard recently (on the news), that the current flu shot is not even the active current flu virus strain, and is only considered 10% effective. The reason the current flu shot is not the current flu strain is because the flu virus is capable of quickly mutating. So, even if the flu shot was the right strain when it was developed last year, the virus can mutate to the point that the vaccine is not effective, against the mutated virus, by the time you get the shot.

Think about it. We now have antibiotic resistant "super" bacteria, because bacteria can mutate, to protect themselves from the antibiotics, and way too many antibiotics have been given (not only to humans, but to the animals, whose meat we eat).

I'm not an expert in viral medicine, but I can't help but wonder, if bacteria can mutate and create "super bugs", why can't viruses create vaccine resistant "super viruses"???

Something else to consider, when getting a flu shot at a pharmacy or grocery store. Last year, a friend got his flu shot at a pharmacy. They gave him the wrong shot, and he had an anaphylactic reaction, that almost killed him. He ended up in the hospital for a week!

My wife and I have never gotten flu shots and don't plan on it anytime in the future. The way I look at it... Our days are numbered and no knows when their number is up. If I die from the flu or getting run over from a beer truck, it doesn't really matter - my number is up.

Another day of life is another day closer to death. There are two things in life that are 100% - death and taxes.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ive bowed to my hubby's demands and will be making him some sauerkraut in half gallon mason jars.

I had the glass weights to make it. I needed to get a tamper and when looking for one on Amazon, an ad for some mason jar fermentation caps came up. They came today. My husband, being the child he is, immediately stuck the one I showed him under his shirt. *sigh*

20190321_154852.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079NSKRHQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_3IiLCbQE0ANA3

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been making my own kraut for 10 years.

IMG_2317.JPG
This year I grew red cabbage, I got 6 very nich heads
Capture.JPG

This is what is in the crock now, It is a slow ferment due to the fact that it isn't very warm in the house. But.. I have pulled a bit out and served it with dinner a few weeks ago. I am have to move it closer to the wood stove.

IMG_20211020_150522_HDR.jpg IMG_20211020_151141_HDR.jpg

hot German potato salad and Hemplers sausage
IMG_20211020_152833_HDR.jpg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like to ferment carrots, they are as a snack, When I go in to the market I am going to pick up carrots and ginger.
I'll take new pics when I make it.
I like to put ginger in with them.
  • ¾ pound carrots, grated
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon unrefined salt
This is a pic of my carrots from last spring,

IMG_2321.JPG