Any Home Remedy for migraines?

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was doing pretty good keeping my migraines in check by avoiding cow dairy products. But lately I don't seem to be able to keep them at bay. The only things I am eating/drinking everyday is coffee and products with white flour.

Stress - yes. I work at a bank and we were bought last week.

I was thinking I might lay off the coffee and wheat products and mainly focus on veggies. I just don't need to lose any weight.

I know how I should eat I just don't always do it.

Susan

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Destress...its the main cause of most headaches, even migraines. Under stress, the muscles in the neck and shoulders tend to constrict. Most of these muscles in the neck are attached to a very large sheath of tendon that wraps the head, called an aponeurosis. When they are tight, it draws the tendon more tightly around the head. A really good massage therapist can help you with this, but those are few and very far between! :/

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Start a daily journal. Write down EVERYTHING you eat and drink, including water. You may find your trigger point. I have a friend who swears if she gets dehydrated her migraines are worse. Add anything that is going on in your life - stress, your monthly routine, if you wake up feeling blue. Again write down EVERYTHING.

My migraines did not start until the hormones started doing their dance later in my life. :) So the auras, spots, blinding pain and vomiting became my once a month dilemna.

Before these migraines started I was healthy. I don't do daily drugs, unless you count my vitamin, so when the doctor told me the only thing he could do was prescribe a pill to take everyday for the rest of my life, I was hesitant to say the least.

The journal I kept showed that there were no food or drink triggers. The majority of my migraines arrived when I was ovulating. The second reason, for me, was stress.

Since I didn't want to do the drugs, I took up Neodymium Spot Magnets and aroma therapies whenever the headaches hit. I had to be in a dark room on a flat bed. I put the 3 magnets on my forehead (on each temple and one in the middle of the forehead) and covered my eyes with a warm cloth with lavendar oil on it. Within 8 hours I was fine and within 10 minutes of starting treatment, the nausea stopped. I tried just the lavendar, but had best success with both the oil and magnets.
These are the ones I have.
http://magnapak-magnetic-mattress-health-therapy.com/catalog/neodymium-spot-magnets-c-128.html

If I was traveling for work and couldn't take a time out, Excedrin for Migraines works in a pinch.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Destress...its the main cause of most headaches, even migraines. Under stress, the muscles in the neck and shoulders tend to constrict. Most of these muscles in the neck are attached to a very large sheath of tendon that wraps the head, called an aponeurosis. When they are tight, it draws the tendon more tightly around the head. A really good massage therapist can help you with this, but those are few and very far between! :/
Beekissed,

You are right that I need a massage but it is not in the near future. I try to destress when I get home but haven't seemed to be very good at it lately.

I guess I am more stressed about my job and the economy than I let on... My husband is self employed and right now is between contracts.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
[keljonma,

I had done the food diary before and I thought dairy was the trigger but I have not been eating any and still I am getting the headaches. On Tuesday the light auras were so bad I almost parked my car and called my husband to come get me. I was about 5 minutes from home.

I had my first migraine at 16. Don't remember if it was hormone related. I had a hysterectomy at 47 and breast cancer at 48. I am actually on femara to keep down the production of estrogen. I have been on it 4 years. That is the only thing I take other than vitamins.

You are probably right that it will just boil down to stress. I just want to have some control over it other than live a stressfree life because that isn't going to happen.

I can't do the aroma therapy because of allergies to perfumes and odors bother me. But I bet the magnetic by themselves would still have a healing quality. I have bookmarked the page...

The girl who sits next to me at work is studying homeopathic medicine and she did some stuff that really seemed to help. I waited for the aura to get better then I left and came home and took a long nap in a dark room. I think I will now go take a hot relaxing bath and go back to bed.

Thank you,

Susan

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I hardly ever have headaches but in times of intense stress they are the size of Texas! Too bad we don't live close...I'm a massage therapist and am known as "the cure" for several of my patients back home! :lol:

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never found anything that works as well as a nap. I know it's not possible much of the time, but if I can manage to leave whatever commitments I have and go to sleep, my migraine is pretty much always gone by the time I wake up.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Migraines must be horrible, I've never had them, nothing more than an intense headache.

Have you ever tried a chiropractor?

My sister used to suffer migranes, they would make her vision go funny, and made it look like looking through a tunnel or something like that. Chiropractor helped her out alot - she no longer gets them.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
In the web between your thumb and your forefinger...between 1/2 to 1 inch into your hand where it gets fleshy...
If you use the thumb and forefinger of the opposite hand you will find a tender spot in there. Sqeeze that spot for about 15-20 seconds and release. Do it to your other hand. (many times if your headache is on one side you will find that same side is more tender in your hand) Anyway do this a few times and it will usually subside.

You might also find relief by rubbing your big toe, if you press your toe in a few areas you may find tender spots...put pressure on them...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
In the web between your thumb and your forefinger...between 1/2 to 1 inch into your hand where it gets fleshy...
If you use the thumb and forefinger of the opposite hand you will find a tender spot in there. Sqeeze that spot for about 15-20 seconds and release. Do it to your other hand. (many times if your headache is on one side you will find that same side is more tender in your hand) Anyway do this a few times and it will usually subside. ....
I tried this and it works for regular headaches, but I didn't have much luck with the migraines. I don't know if that was because they were due to hormonal triggers....