Any Mechanics out there? car trouble

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
About a month ago,while driving I would experiance slight lose of power. But not totally. Then later, once a week the car would stop starting, but the battery was not dead. We changed out the clamps that went on the battery posts. Then there was no more problems starting at all. Perfect every time.

Two weeks ago. I went the store. Then went to my DHs work and headed home. On the way home it just up and quit. Just stopped working while driving down the road. No noises.. No signs at all. It was just like some one shut the car off..

Now it will try to start, but it just wont catch. It doesnt sound like the starter at all. We just replaced my MIL cars starter and it doenst sound like that problem at all. We could not hear the fuel pump kick in. So we just went and put in a new fuel pump, and it still wont start.

We were thinking it might be the main relays. But we cant buy them any where near us?? :he to even try them out..

Any ideas on what could be the problem? We are running out of ideas.

Oh the car is a 2000 Kia Sportage, 5 Speed, 4 cyl. Runs on gas. Is NOT 4x4

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH just asked if you checked the timing belt yet. If that broke, you wouldn't get any warning.
Happened on our Nissan at 100K miles. If it is the timing belt, you'll have to pull the spark plugs to see if there's any compression. If there isn't, the valves are bent.
If there is compression, then replace the belt (per manual).

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Alternator possibly? I had this problem years ago - car would start and run fine for a while, but then just cut off. Battery was getting some charge, but not enough.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes that sounds like a timing belt. I had a pickup that had a loose timing belt. One time it would start, but have no power, or, it would refuse to start and act just like the battery was almost dead. It would do a slow whomp.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
DH just asked if you checked the timing belt yet. If that broke, you wouldn't get any warning.
Happened on our Nissan at 100K miles. If it is the timing belt, you'll have to pull the spark plugs to see if there's any compression. If there isn't, the valves are bent.
If there is compression, then replace the belt (per manual).
Question.. How do we check for compression by taking the spark plugs out. DH is out right now trying to check to see if the timing belt broke. Trying to locate it. Only can see the alternator belts. THank you we never thought about the timing belt..

He just went through all the fuses and relays again. Dusting them all off and checking all the areas that they are plugged into.. After doing that, when we put the key to the on possistion that usually just turns on lights and radio.. We now can hear a buzzing, humming sound from a small part plugged into the top of the engine.. Dont know what its called. But now trying to figure out what it is so I can list it here

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At first we checked all the belts we could see. Couldnt see the timing belt..

After taking some covers off. Yup its the belt.. Its broke.. But it wont come out..

Well guess I no longer have a car.. Have to wait till next march to fix it or buy a new car.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sunny said:
About a month ago,while driving I would experiance slight lose of power. But not totally. Then later, once a week the car would stop starting, but the battery was not dead. We changed out the clamps that went on the battery posts. Then there was no more problems starting at all. Perfect every time.

Two weeks ago. I went the store. Then went to my DHs work and headed home. On the way home it just up and quit. Just stopped working while driving down the road. No noises.. No signs at all. It was just like some one shut the car off..

Now it will try to start, but it just wont catch. It doesnt sound like the starter at all. We just replaced my MIL cars starter and it doenst sound like that problem at all. We could not hear the fuel pump kick in. So we just went and put in a new fuel pump, and it still wont start.

We were thinking it might be the main relays. But we cant buy them any where near us?? :he to even try them out..

Any ideas on what could be the problem? We are running out of ideas.

Oh the car is a 2000 Kia Sportage, 5 Speed, 4 cyl. Runs on gas. Is NOT 4x4
The same thing happened to me a few years back and it was the timing chain. It was a real pain to replace. DH had to get someone to help him do it....and he HATES asking for help.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sunny said:
At first we checked all the belts we could see. Couldnt see the timing belt..

After taking some covers off. Yup its the belt.. Its broke.. But it wont come out..

Well guess I no longer have a car.. Have to wait till next march to fix it or buy a new car.
Timing belts/chains are labor intensive AKA EXPENSIVE to take to a regular mechanic, to fix. See if you can find someone, shade tree mechanic with a couple good ole boy referrences, that will help fix it, or flat out fix it for some sort of barter. Shouldn't be too awful hard to come by in this economy :hu it's better than being carless! also, if DH is mechanically inclined, go to Napa or Autozone and buy a repair manual..about $20, I used to fix aLL my vehicles this way, and I'm a girl :p If I can do it so can he ;)

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MAN! i just love this site even more! ask a good question and everyone is there to help! man what good people! :)