Any thoughts on high school course load?

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new to the homeschooling thing since my own kid is traditionally schooled, but my cousin who is starting 11th grade has come to live with us. She wants to do K12 online school, which is free here in California as the California Virtual Academy. So we applied at the beginning of the month and then got her paperwork together, which took some work since I'm not her custodial parent, and her parent is in a remote area without access to technology. But my aunt eventually signed my cousin's educational rights over to me, and we got the paperwork in on time, as K12 said it needed to be done.

Except that K12 didn't enroll her. Apparently they got a lot of people's paperwork yesterday, the last day to submit it, and got so backed up that they couldn't process it all. Anyone not processed by K12 yesterday, despite being timely, gets a later start date and can't take as many classes (5 rather than 6).

I'm pretty irritated at K12 for lying to me all week including Friday morning, saying that it was no problem to get the papers in on Friday (I didn't have educational rights until Thursday, so I didn't have much choice). But more importantly, I'm concerned about my cousin's inability to take a full course load in her junior year. In my mind, this is the year kids really need to shine to look good on college apps next fall, and my poor cousin is left taking only core classes. (She's really bummed -- she's been looking forward to taking some good electives. This kid doesn't need any more disappointment in her life right now!)

I'm not sure whether the five classes rather than six is a problem. Should I raise a fuss Monday morning and try to get them to enroll her in the six classes? Or are five classes just fine for a junior? Maybe we should do the five and load her up on APs or something?

Any other thoughts on the K12 high school curriculum? Anything I need to know to ensure she does well?

Thank you!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The AP route might be a good idea. Those count more towards college.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well Im a sophmore and have two electives, and an AP. I have 5 "non negotiable" classes........so 5 should be fine! But do AP! They can take tests that count as college credit//////

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If she can do some good extra curriculars, like volunteering a certain ammount of hours it would look just as good to the college as another class IMO. Find her some volunteer work she's interested in, or get her involved in something outside of school that is educational.