1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cleaning ball caps, help please! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Crochet?

Discussion in 'DIY - Do-It-Yourself Projects, Construction, Etc.' started by Calista, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Feb 3, 2018
    Calista

Calista Lovin' The Homestead

[​IMG]

I didn't find a thread on crochet and wondered if there are any other crochet fanatics out there.

As a child many moons ago, I was bugging my poor grandma who was babysitting me, so she sat me down with some yarn and a crochet hook and said, here's how you make a chain. Fast forward a bunch of decades and I'm still chaining away and starting (and mostly finishing) new, challenging patterns all the time. (Everybody I know already has at least one of my hats and scarves.) I find the craft endlessly fascinating and it's a good substitute for one of THOSE days...

[​IMG]

I'm currently drooling over a pattern I REALLY want to do but, unfortunately, it's in Russian. Google Translator had a nervous breakdown with all those stitch abbreviations and couldn't help me:

[​IMG]

Please share any crochet patterns or projects you like. P.S. I do not knit since I am all thumbs trying to manipulate two sticks with no hooks on the ends, heh.

2. Feb 3, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

I don't but would love to learn! My 5 year old takes fiber arts classes but they don't crochet, unfortunately.

3. Feb 3, 2018
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Almost Self-Reliant

my wife loves it. She has never made anything like that rug tho. That's amazing!

Calista likes this.
  4. Feb 3, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

In an earlier life I crocheted a LOT....until Carpal Tunnel Syndrome set in. I've made several afghans, lots of scarves, hats, Christmas ornaments and even cute little Christmas trees that you would slip down over a Styrofoam cone. For years I'd make an afghan or two every winter and give them as gifts. Wish I could still do it....maybe if I go really slow and don't do too much at a time I could actually start creating again.

5. Feb 3, 2018
    Calista

Hey, advertise on your local Craigslist for a crochet teacher and you might just make a connection where you could learn with your daughter!

6. Feb 3, 2018
    Calista

Yes, try a skein of soft bulky yarn and a P hook with just single crochet stitches. You never know...good luck.

sumi likes this.
  7. Feb 3, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Well I could get her teacher to teach us. She just focuses more on knitting, because that's what people are into at the moment. I'll learn someday.... When I have time!

8. Feb 3, 2018
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

I was taught to crochet by a lovely old lady when I was quite young. I never took it up though. I knitted for years, stopped, then started sewing (quilts only). I love crocheted things though!

9. Feb 4, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Almost Self-Reliant

I know how, and have made scarves, pillows, and other projects, including a green, stuffed dinosaur for my son when he was little. But I haven't done any for years.

10. Feb 4, 2018
    Calista

Just for grins, here's some of the projects I'll be tackling this year:

TAXIDERMY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SQUARE BLANKET

[​IMG]

LED LIGHT COIL RUG

[​IMG]

POTHOLDERS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I get bored with one project, I set it aside and pick up another. With enough to-do's in the pipeline, I should stay busy for awhile!