Anybody have a panel from Harbor Freight?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're thinking of getting this solar panel kit from Harbor Freight (a hardware store). It has 3 15volt amorphous panels and the hookups, for $200. Any advice if it really works that well, and is it durable? I don't really know anything about the different types of panels and such. It's supposed to have enough power to run a laptop, stereo, etc.

ultio

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have also been eyeing that unit. Did you buy it?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have one. We have it installed on an outbuilding that is too far away, for running electricity to it, to be cost effective. We use it for lighting and to charge a deep cycle battery that powers the lights at night when we need them.

The lights are not very bright, but they work well enough. We've only had it for about a month, and so far it's worked great. The durability should get a test over the next several days, as we have sleet and freezing rain forecast.

All in all, I'd say that the set-up is worth it, for what we use it for.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, we haven't bought that unit yet. kOxxx, do you think it would work to recharge low batteries? We already use batteries for our lights to begin with, so we were hoping that we could use it for that. Have you had any weather yet???

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
No, we haven't bought that unit yet. kOxxx, do you think it would work to recharge low batteries? We already use batteries for our lights to begin with, so we were hoping that we could use it for that. Have you had any weather yet???
I guess that it would depend on how much you use the batteries. 45w of charging is not a whole lot of charging power. So far they have worked great for keeping the lights working, but we only use them occasionally, so I don't really have a feel for how they would work out for longer usage. I would suspect that it would be ok though, since the lights are pretty efficient.

As far as the weather. At 1am this morning it was 56 degrees and raining, by 8am we had 22 degrees and rain with sleet mixed in. We are getting a nice glaze of ice on everything. We are not forecast to get above freezing until Wednesday afternoon, and we have a chance of rain all week. So far thankfully, it has been very light rain. Brrr!